63: Fourteen-Years-Ago

Xavier P. O. V

"I think it's time we tell her," Jason suggests after busting through my cabin doors.

But to say I'm shocked at his suggestion would be wrong because it wasn't impulsive nor sudden, I've had this coming my way since the day Astoria was released into my care.

"We will discuss this later," I dismiss my brother sternly, yet again trying to avoid the subject especially after the look of trepidation takes over Astoria.

"No Xavier, we have had this discussion for months on end now, and I think it's time," he persists.

Although his clear disregard for my direct order stirs a sliver of anger within me, I can tell that he only has the good of this family in mind. But this compiles me to ponder over the fact that is now really the right time to divulge this information to my kid sister?

"What discussion?" She asks timidly voicing her curiosity with clear hesitation in her body language.

"You will find out soon enough," Jason assures before I can pitch in my remark. "Won't she Xavier?" He shifts his gaze towards me putting me on the spot.

"In due time," I reply monotonously.

"Jason a word outside?" I ask and make my way towards the door before he can reply.

The door slams shut behind me after a few accountable moments. My back still facing the other way, I therapeutically clench and unclench my fist trying to ease the anger within me.

"What were you thinking?" I question craning my neck just enough to bring him in my line of vision.

"We have waited long enough Xavier. You can't just keep putting off this topic, that gives those bastards an advantage over us," he explains exasperation evident in his tone.

"Do you think I don't know that Jason? Or do you think I want our little sister in harm's way?" I question him rhetorically still holding charge over my anger.

"You aren't keeping her safe by keeping her in the dark either," he remarks.

"What happened fourteen years ago may have faded from your memory over time, but I still hold those vivid detail up until this very day. And you want me to have our baby sister carry the same burden we carried for the past fourteen years with her for the rest of her life too?"

"I've managed to recover those texts from her phone remotely, and by the look of it they are trying to bait her by promising her our family secrets," he informs rubbing his temples in distress.

"She will do no such thing," I assert having the utmost confidence and faith in my sister.

"I know she won't, I wasn't implying that," he clarifies shaking his head.

"But that doesn't change the fact that they can still use this information to turn her against us in the near future, brainwashing after all is one of our profession's many specialties."

His argument did make a fair point, but my reluctance towards his suggestion doesn't fade. Put into deep and strategic thoughts I weigh my potions meticulously.

"She still has nightmares," I voice out, only to have Jason nod in confirmation, which doesn't surprise me considering the fact that he has been the one to comfort her after each encounter.

"She still refuses to meet the psychologist. She did agree once though, but recanted as soon as we made it to Dr. Hart's building." I nod in understanding.

"What if this new information takes a negative toll on her health?" I voice my concerns in hopes to receive any suggestions that might help me land on a final decision.