83: Up The Tree

Breaking away from each other and jumping back to our feet ending our kiss that lasts just a couple of moments that beat by too fast, we cautiously start to retrace our steps.

"What if it isn't them?" I voice my thoughts ducking down to avoid a branch in my way.

"That's what we have to find out," he replies following my action and pushing past a few branching blocking our way.

"And how are we going to do that without getting caught?" I enquire further finding numerous flaws in our plan that can land us in the same hole we just crawled out of.

"We observe...from a distance," he vaguely replies.

"Observe what exactly? If this is a trap to lure us back in, then don't you think they will be on the lookout for us?" I remark craning my neck to glance at him for a brief moment.

"And that is why we will not be approaching the clearing until we are sure that it isn't a trap. But if it indeed helps, we cannot afford to stay in hiding and hope that they find us," he explains making me nod in understanding.

"So, what do we do exactly?" I ask as a cloud of confusion settles over my mind.

"We just need to get close enough to get a visual cabin," he remarks holding his hand out towards me and helping me across a pile of rocks blocking our way.

"And then what?" I press for more details.

"We wait for them," he shrugs.

"But how will they know that we're waiting for them?" I voice the obvious flaw in his plan.

"Trust me, they'll know," he reassures me after which I don't ask any more questions as we make our way through the dense forest.

Apprehension starts to build within me with every step we take knowing that it's leading us closer to the cabin. And I can seem to shake off this feeling that keeps telling me that by the end of all of this I'm either going to lose my life or my relationship.

But a tiny ray of light in the back of my mind gives me a sense of hope that maybe after all of this, I just might be able to have the happy ending I want. I never dreamt of a knight in shining armor or of a white picket fence house, all I want is at the end of all of this is to be surrounded by people I love and who love me back.

The faint sound of his voice hits my ears pulling me out of my thoughts and causing me to snap back to reality. "Sorry, did you say something?"

"I was just asking if you have any plans for your birthday, it's just a few months away, am I right?" He repeats his previous question.

"Two months," I nod. "And no, I haven't. I don't really like celebrations, especially big ones," I add in admittance.

"Why not?" He wonders aloud appearing truly intrigued by my response.

"For one, you have to spend weeks planning and organizing it and it's over within a few hours. Secondly, on that day you spend the first half getting read and the rest of the day greeting people you pretend to know, it just seems like a lot of work to me if I'm being honest," I shrug.

"But you also get to spend that day with your close family and friends, that has to count for something," he remakes.

"It does, but if you think about it, you don't need some big fancy celebration to spend the day with close family and friends," I point out.

"True," he admits. "So, how do you want to spend your birthday?" He adds as an afterthought.

"With lots of junk food and ice cream," I reply in a heartbeat. "And with you all being there too, of course," I add quickly earning myself one of his infamous heart-swooning smiles.