Chapter Forty - four 🟢

Every night when she fell to deep slumber, her spirit animal appear to her in full form. Together they venture through open fields outside the forest of its birth.

In her subconscious, Cora knew that her bonds with Rue were only getting stronger. She loves dreams like these because here she was at peace and happy. There were no deaths or fire, only joy and friendly winds.

Today, something was different. She was dreaming of the place her spirit animal would appear, but Rue wasn't there. Cora sat down patiently waiting by leaning on a huge tree bark but nothing happened.

She wondered if she needed to do some kind of chant to sermon Rue and she remembered this was just a dream.

Or was it?

Concussed and terrified, she got up for the tree and explored the forest. Cora was walking slowly for fear that this could be another terrifying dream. Her foot placed one after the other, walking to the next spot in front of her.

It was almost pointless because her next step was in a branch and it notified her of the presence behind her.

Cora turned sharply to the source of the sound, but there was no one in sight. Before she reacted harshly, she applied the civil approach.

"I know you're there," she drawled.

Whatever it was, it didn't terrify her, and she was sure it was almost harmless. Yet she had to know what it was and if it was the reason Rue wouldn't come to her.

"Come out while I'm asking nicely," she called again.

After a few seconds, a tiny figure crawled from behind a tree close to her. It was a small child. She could tell that much from where he swatted.

However, when he got up and walked closer to her, Cora recognize him. He had bruises and cuts all over his face, but she could recognize him anywhere. It was her brother, Damiel.

Cora gasps rushing towards him but she was drawn away to another scene. This time it was in the place she woke in and Rue was there waiting for her.

The realization hit Cora faster than lightning. Rue was showing her something in this dream, but she could not understand why it was only a bruise face of Damiel.

She immediately thought of a question for Rue because she needed clarity. But her body jerked her back to reality. Cora hugged the fabrics that covered her sleeping body. Her powers were getting out of control.

What was the point of showing her things if she didn't know what they meant?

Captain Kaden said her family was doing fine when he visited. Was this dream a prediction of what was to come? If this was the case, she had to save her brother and get back home as soon as possible.

*   *   *

"The entire kingdom heard of your return," Tivo said, hugging Lida.

"We're the first set to ever return unscathed from Dabrack, that calls for celebration," Lida replied.

Tivo wanted to ask about the rumours of Barun being royalty, but his journey to this place gave him an idea that it was likely true. He decided to enjoy the moment.

Thanks to his brother, he had more other men to look up to, but he suddenly started feeling self-conscious of the scratches on his face and his muscular Jody fork all the training. He had changed so much in a few moons.

"You grew well Tivo, don't be ashamed of it." Lida encouraged him. "Come on in, let's go to sir Barun,"

The walk up the stairs did not take as long as Tivo had imagined. After they passed the heavily guarded door, he saw tall soldiers wearing unfamiliar garb. They also carried strangely design weapons that helped him understand they were not from Trevillia. Lida let him through the holidays and into a room full of people.