Chapter Thirty - Seven.🟢

The walls of this chamber were wearing out, but Sir Lupad knew the Knights would do next to nothing about it. They were kin to carry on with tradition.

At the moment, it would take a complete demolition caused by war for this hall to be rebuilt into something a little more modern. He looked up to the transparent ceiling, his hand subconsciously moving to the hilt of his sword at his side. The moon was visible in the slowly darkening sky and he knew that in time, everyone would arrive.

Looking at the sky made him recall his younger days' training at the Prefect's tower back in Koyores. He knew he was the best of the other boys and he always made a point of proving it every day.

He wondered what happened to the others if they had got married and had children who have now been forced into soldiers for the Queen. The parting words of his Prefect as he began his journey to these grounds, however, constantly came to mind. It was those words that had guided him even after his mentor's death.

"Do not fear the distance. If you ever miss Koyores all, you have to do is look up. Wherever we are Lupad, there is only one sky." the old man's voice echoed in his mind.

He closed his eyes and clenched the hilt of his sword hard till he could no longer feel the blood in his palms. It was frustrating now when he looks to the sky all he can see is a burning city. He could feel the ash rising to the sky, all in the name of the Queen's purge. He had never felt this much rage since the last pirate attempt invasion at Neria years ago.

The sound of footstep pulled him out of his raging thoughts. Without turning around, he knew exactly who it was. When he first started as a squire to the Head of the Knights, he had seen so much potential that even till that moment had not been unlocked fully.

For this reason, he had agreed to follow his leadership even when the other Knights argued about his age. Yes, he was young, but he knew how to lead men of all ages from all walks of the kingdom. Here, not just men rather Knights of Trevillia.

"How do you deal with it?" He asked in a low tone.

Lord Aeson mourned for days after the tragedy at Medris. No one understood how he felt. They had assumed he was sad because they could no longer protect the king directly. But now, sir Lupad felt that pain. It was as though he had no right to live.

"How do you live on knowing you could not save your town when it needed you?"

Lord Aeson placed a hand on his shoulders, and he turned to face him. Sir Lupad saw the glitter of life and excitement in Lord Aeson's eyes, something he was sure he did not have at the moment.

Looking at this young Knight in front of him made him wonder if he could have a son just like him. Just that look in his eyes alone was motivation enough for you to crave the craziest of adventures, even to die beside him in battle.

"Sir Lupad, grieve for the lives that will be lost this night. After the games are over, we shall investigate it. As for the answer to you question,"

Lord Aeson paused as his whole demeanour changed into something Sir Lupad rarely sees. He seemed sad.

"You get through it one day at a time. And whatever happens, think of the bigger picture, live to fight another day."

He spoke those words in a sombre, trancelike state and his face lit up almost immediately.

"You should get seated. General Deloris and Datil shall be here in mere moments, they shall join our session today."

Sir Lupad hung his sword behind his assigned seat and sat down as more Grand Knights walked in. He noticed how all the seats were occupied round the vast oak table except that left for General Rupen. His heart sank again, but not for long because he was now drawn to another sight, one that intrigued him even now.