Chapter Twenty. 🟢

It was the day he set aside for sacrifice.

For eight years, he stayed without praying or sacrificing to the gods. Even now he was free, he still felt trapped. Hopefully, no one would recognize him here. So far, no one has. He spent the last few weeks here without problems. He chose today for this special sacrifice to the gods, for the full moon would appear tonight.

He knew he would have to endanger his life again, but he had to please the gods first. Everything he did was for them.

Casting a protection spell with the wave of his hand, images of the previous day flashed through his mind. It was no longer safe for him here. The prophecy was getting close to fulfillment. He watched from the window of the inn he stayed in as the little boys were dragged out of their homes, away from their parents and tossed into cages pulled by mean horses.

With the town in an uproar of sadness and mourning, it was difficult for him to get what he required for the sacrifices. After the walls of his room were engulfed in a light blue glowing shield, the colour dimmed, making it less visible to anyone watching outside.

It was still early in the morning, and the sun had not risen. The town was entirely still; making the atmosphere perfect. He placed the clear steel basin on top of a stool in the middle of the room and emptied a jar of water into it. Afterwards, he began arranging scented candles in certain parts of the room and around the stool in a semicircle.

The candles lit up by themselves. A small metal plate filled with hot coals sat on the floor towards the door. He walked towards it and poured a hand full of incense into it. Smoke arose from the plate and the sweet scent mixing with the candles traveled through the room, but thanks to the protective shield, it did not leave the room.

The incense was meant to drive away evil spirits from corrupting his sacrifice. From under his bed, he pulled out a caged fowl, now making chuckling sounds at his presence. He ignored it dragged the fowl out of the cage, holding it firmly by the wings. His grip on the fowl's wings tightened till he heard a snap followed by the loud cry of the bird.

He knelt in front of the basin, ignoring the protest of the fowl squirming in his grip but not able to fly out. He pulled a knife from his belt, raised his eyes up to the ceiling, muttering a small prayer to the gods to accept his offering. He lifted the fowl up for a few seconds above the steel basin.

Holding the fowl by the neck, he slit the throat, the blood of the fowl dripping inside the basin of water. He increased his grip on the fowl as it shook till it breathed its last. Dropping the dead fowl on the floor beside him, he raised his both hands covered in the blood of the dead fowl to the ceiling. His eyes tightly closed, he began to mutter prayers.

"Dirige  nos in eam quam immaculati ambulant viam, ut testimonia legis tuæ piis cordibus exquirentes perseveremus et diligere quod præcipiunt, et desiderare quo ducunt." he chanted in whispers then brought his two hands down.

He stayed like that eyes closed meditating till sunlight began to creep into his room through the window he left open. Knowing fully well the smell of the candle and incense would reach the rest of the inn and arouse suspicion the moment he removes the protective shield; he cleaned his hands, packed his little belongings into a deep pocket in his hooded garment and grabbed his cloak, which he wore only during travels.

He broke the spell and walked out of the inn, ignoring the confused look of the inn workers. He made sure he paid the innkeeper in full the previous day. The man let his feet guide him out of the small town to where he was needed.

The town was still quiet, as he knew many would not like to wake up remembering their sons were gone. Only a few houses had some young girls sending him strange looks as they watered the plants. He kept moving, heading towards the road leading out of the town, his time here was over. He spent his time here cowardly, hiding, not finding the courage to do what he ought to. But now that he had prayed to the gods for aid, he felt stronger than ever.