Chapter Twenty- three. 🟢

Cling! Cling! Cling!

"Yield ye vermin!" the shout came through the huge window he stood at.

He suppressed a grin. It would be odd if the people saw their new governor with that expression when the last one rarely smiled. His brother loathed swear words and now he is forced to not only hear them but actually be cursed by the people he once led.

Culen did not find it hard to believe that his brother tried to take the throne. His brother's attempt to take the throne has been so far the only thing he was proud of him for. In secret, Culen was no fan of King Icarus, though for some reason unknown to him the King has taken a liking to him since he was just a wee lad. But to imagine his brother as King and worse Princess Salie as Queen was a gag-worthy thought.

Vlad had always been the serious one of the family. The very moment he became Governor even their parents were forced to his will. Culen was the only one to defy his brother. He knew he had to refuse his brother's wishes most times because they were absurd and questionable.

He could understand why now.

All this time, his brother kept to himself locked up in the throne room or the castle library and he was planning a siege!

The bastard!

He would have succeeded too if Queen Artemis was not who she was.

Though his brother's failure brought him good fortune, as his mother called it, this was no good fortune for him. His being the new Governor of Neria not only makes him younger than all the Prefects but demands that he attend all court meetings.

If there was anything Culen hated about himself, being Noble born, it was the court sessions. He made excuses to avoid them before now. He could do that no more.

Culen felt frustrated by this entire ordeal of being governor. He had plans to leave Neria with the love of his life Roza, his dear Roza. He sighed in content satisfying himself with the sight of the mercenary beating the god's breath out of Vlad. Vlad deserved it after failing like that and ruining his plans. He planned to leave with Roza by the next moon and now his brother has eradicated that chance.

Culen's family did not accept Roza because she was not of Noble blood. He resented the way she was treated since his family found out about his relationship with her. Roza is a strong girl, yes she is a castle maid, but she is strong. It was her strength to endure that attracted him to her. He would fight for her better now.

It was a surprise that his mother had not found him a betrothed. She was probably searching at the moment.

"Uncle Culen!" a child shrieked, making him turn from the window.

His heart sank at the sight of the young boy running towards him. Not caring if anyone saw the sad demeanour of their governor, his eyes followed his brother's only son. Unlike his father, he was not a complete self-centered, greedy oaf. With Salie gone, there was no one to care for him.

Salie was now in the palace of the King and his brother Vlad was... god's breath! Vlad! Vlad was running toward him, towards the window. He quickly moved as far away from the window as he could manage and knelt down on one knee.

"Vlad, what are you doing out here!" he said, hugging him.

He missed the boy.

"They are lying to me, Uncle." the boy said, tears streaming continuously down his cheek.

Culen still found it funny that his brother would name his son after him. But he could admit that Vlad the Second sounded way cooler than just Vlad. The lad knew it too but would say nothing to his parents.