Chapter Forty - Five 🟢

The night was cold, but the slavers had left them here at the back of the carriage. Unlike most carriages Damiel had seen, this one had a cloth covering the sides of the cage they were trapped in. The men from his house brought him here and they've been on the road since.

Damiel had no knowledge of where he was going. He was cold and hungry, but what scared him the most was that he was the youngest person in the cage.

Since his abduction, he had nightmares and no one to tell. He wondered if his sister would ever find him. Damiel prayed Barun would return, or Tivo. He wished his father was alive to protect him.

The men that took him beat him when he tried to escape, reminding him that no one would save him; not even his mother. Damiel knew his mother was to blame for everything that has happened, but he wanted to go back home. He wanted things to go back to how they used to be.

Even when he slept to rest his aching, bruised body, he could not dream of the good times. He would sit on his side of the cage that he shared with five other kids and wait for sunrise.

During the day, the nightmares would still come, so he had no sleep. At night, was the only time they were not moving. However, his captors only lit fires for themselves and not the kids in the truck.

Occasionally, they would throw a piece of molten bread in for them to fight over. Only one of the girls had been nice enough to share her piece. He did not know any of their names yet because they were not allowed to talk to each other.

The rules only allowed them to respond to their captors when they had a question, but no one came. No one asked him a thing. Instead, they had mocked him for always being tired; ridiculed him for how useless he would be when they sell him to a new master.

Damiel wanted this change, so he prayed that the nightmare would not come tonight. If he fell asleep right now, there was still plenty of time before the moon went down and the sun would rise back up. He squeezed his small frame together to hug himself.

Maybe if he did this, he would feel a little warmth and fall asleep. Thoughts of his current position caused him to shed silent tears. He was a child but he could risk crying loading to wake the men; they would beat him again.

Sometime during the night, Damiel fell into a deep slumber and awoke in a different consciousness. When he fell asleep, he was drawn to a strangely familiar forest. His dream seems to end when he was discovered by his sister Cora and it made him wonder if this was a way of communication.

Was his sister coming to get him? He could not hope for things he did not understand.

This dream was different, but the mystery of it scared Damiel shitless. He just wanted a proper sleep, and he didn't need to be shown these things. Damiel had to see it through because this was the price to pay for not feeling tired during the day.

Damiel found himself in a foggy, strange land. He walked behind a group of strange men clad in black. They chanted something in a strange language as they made their way to an unknown location.

Something felt strange about the chant because Damiel could almost interpret its meaning even though he had never heard anyone in Ovalon speak words like them before.

He lurked behind them, unsure of why he was there. It was still a mystery if this was really happening or it was a dream. From the chills on his skin, it felt very real. He could see the men clearly as he walked behind them, but he was unsure how many they were.

The men walked in a straight line through the fog, but their chants were loud enough to see baritone voices. The man at the back carried a figure over his shoulder that looked like the figure of another man.