Chapter Fifteen. 🟢

Varoom! Varoom! The soldiers' voices cried. Swords were drawn, torches lit. The sound passed through Barun's ear as the ship struggled for balance. All the soldiers were on the deck of the ship now, swords at the ready, but the monster taller than anything Barun has ever seen stood there shifting its gaze. The size could be larger than a castle, its eyes glowed brighter than the moon. Its teeth were clearly visible, as it had many fangs protruding from its jaws.

Barun swallowed hard on his saliva as a low growl erupted from the belly of the beast. The sound of it thundered through the sea. He looked beside him and, sure enough, his brothers were present. He could see that some soldiers avoided its gaze. It was as if the beast could see into your soul. The captain of the ship came forward beside Barun. He raised his right hand, giving signals to the archers, probably.

Barun watched the beast intensely. The description in Cora's book did no justice. The people of Voltrun were wise to believe it was a god. But now he saw the beast, he wondered if it really was a god. He felt disappointed at the fear he felt. He had fought many beasts, but none as huge as this. This mission was far more deadly than he thought. Lord Aeson had always said, "know thy enemy" but he knew nothing of the beast apart from the fact that it exists to kill.

"Archers!" the captain called out, but Barun moved quickly, raising his sword to stop them.

The beast, as if sensing the change in authority, shifted his gaze to Barun. Barun swallowed hard again, wondering where the saliva came from. His throat was dry and his face became sweaty, though the air was cool. Though he was afraid, he maintained his gaze on the beast. Varoom, they called it. He bent down and placed his sword on the floor of the ship, still maintaining eye contact. He watched his brothers do the same, as if sensing his plan, but the soldiers ever so proudly frowned at them. The captain had a look of disgust on his face as he considered them weaklings. Barun followed his instincts and stood up, but as he did, he heard the swish of an arrow passing by him. He turned and saw the bow in the hands of the captain, a proud grin on his face.

Loud cries of an animal in pain filled their ears as the other archers released their arrows. Barun gasps as he saw the anger in its eyes, but that was not all. Inside its mouth were rolls and rolls of teeth. He quickly retrieved his sword, losing vision of the beast. It descended back into the sea. Barun turned to a now-armed Lida, urging him to stay alert. He nodded in understanding. Logan looked at the sea below them. The moonlight was gone, but the bright eyes of the beast could be seen. It let out a growl, making the sea bubble. Before any of them could find its location, they felt the ship rock sharply beneath them.

Barun's eyes widened as he realised what was about to happen. It would tear the ship apart from below.

"Run for the boats!" he yelled to the soldiers, and they ran, but they were too late. Both sides of the beast's jaws could be seen in the middle of the ship. With a loud cry, the beast pressed its jaws together, breaking the ship in half.

Some soldiers fell into the sea screaming at the top of their lungs as the beast picked them up one at a time and swallowed. The sea broke into the remains of the ship, with speed flooding the entire place and gobbling it. Barun held on to a part of the railings as the ship continued to break apart.

"Logan!" he cried as his side of the ship sank with one deep push.

The seawater splashed on his face, some of it entering his mouth. He spat out the salty liquid and struggled to open his eyes. The salty water had entered his eyes too. His eyes roamed through the faces of the soldiers holding the railing for their dear life, but no Logan or Lida.

The half-ship sank again with force, making the soldiers scream out. More water came to the deck of the ship, passing their ankles to their knee.

"Barun!" he heard someone yell.