Chapter Fourteen(part two)🟢

They trained a little that morning, but it was still so tiring. Captain Kaden made Cora watch the boys spar with short swords.

"Each of you should know how to defend yourself. Should the need arise, you will be called upon by your king and queen to defend the kingdom." Captain Kaden's voice boomed through the clanging of metal on metal. "Because you are nobles does not mean you will not be called to fight."

Cora was given a wooden sword and was asked to practice some moves with a wooden dummy.

"I do not want any of the boys getting ideas." he said as he gave it to her.

Cora was getting familiar with them. Only five guys were here today, though she was told that they are up to twenty on that train here. They refused to tell her why the majority were absent. Out of the five guys, the ones she considered being most friendly were a set of identical twins. She could barely tell them apart aside from a streak of white hair on the hair of one of them. Tank and Komee were their names.

One of the twins gave her a small smile while the other one argued with him for it. Cora smiled and went back to hitting the dummy. After a few minutes, Captain Kaden taught her a new self-defense move, which she learned a lot quicker than the last one. She was told to practice the move by hitting the dummy repeatedly. It was getting tiring, and she wished she had braided her hair tighter. The locks were now falling loosely on her face.

"Training is over for the day." Captain Kaden called.

Getting deep sighs of relief in response. It was almost midday and Cora did not know where to find a job. Captain Kaden told her to follow him after training, and she said goodbye to Tank and Komee. Her clothes were wrapped in a parcel alongside her satchel. She followed him until they came to a clearing. Cora smiled as the sound of running water filled her ears. She avoided going to the stream after the fire at Ovalon, but she missed it. Some rocks lay in their path which they had to climb down. Few steps down made Cora realized it was more like a sloped rocky wall. Some rocks were slippery, and the captain had to assist her.

A small lake was now visible. The sun reflected on the water, and the beautiful fishes could be seen through the clear water. She landed on her feet with a loud thud and stood next to the captain, taking in her surroundings.

"No one comes here often. You can wash here after training. I will instruct the boys not to come here anymore if they used to." he told her. The captain could see that she was happy. A smile came to his face, as he knew she would not be happy at his next words.

"Climbing the rocks is part of your training," he said.

"Thank you," Cora said sincerely.

This certainly caught him off guard, he nodded, not knowing what to say. He expected her to scream and plead for help, but maybe she would eventually.

"Your father is not back yet?" he asked.

"He is not, but I hope he will return soon."

"What is wrong?"

"It is nothing"

"Cora, I noticed you were absent-minded today. What bothers you? "

"Captain, I was wondering if there is a place that would employ me at the palace part-time. Something I could do while delivering."

"Why do you ask? "

"My family needs money and we have little left to eat." she honestly told him.

She did not want to appear desperate, but she was desperate. She lowered her gaze, waiting for his response.