Chapter Eight.🟢

Sunlight crawled into the room as she opened windows. She felt so much better today. She did not know if it was her excitement in meeting Zach, but she did not have any nightmares like the previous nights.

She brushed all the tangles out of her hair and braided it in one. Her hand unconsciously went to the necklace on her neck. Lifting it to her lips, she kissed it, letting her lips linger there for some seconds. She hid it well under her shirt so that only the thin black ropes were visible. She needed all the luck she could muster today.

Her parents had left the house sad like she did yesterday and returned happy. The King was having a feast tomorrow and a Lady of the Kings court paid for some dresses. Cora was asked to deliver them in the castle. Her father also needed her to deliver weapons to a soldier. They were already late by a day.

Cora was happy her parents could finally regain the money they gave to the soldiers for tax, but she was not happy with the king. He was throwing a feast while most of his people starve. She wondered how Trevillia remained the greatest of all the seven kingdoms when its people suffered.

The soldiers had said the Queen ordered it. Her stomach churned at the thought of her. She had only seen a glimpse of her that day at the castle. Cora did not understand why she always felt a sense of foreboding towards the Queen. She was just a person, right?

Cora knew people did not think like her. To them, the Queen was a goddess on earth. When she was younger, one girl who picked on her told stories of how the Queen was chosen by the gods. For this reason, the citizens do not fight the king.

Trevillia was well known for its talent in forging the best weapons. She read that in her book. The other kingdoms used to rely on Bolivia for weapons and some of them still do. The Queen had exploited that. Cora thought it was brilliant. It gave people like her father a means of livelihood.

Most families in Ovalon forged weapons and sold them to the army and the knights. It was easy for them to deliver because it was right next to the city. The other towns forged weapons too, but not as much as Ovalon. Even with the contracts her father gets, more than half of the income goes to tax.

She fastened her sandals and went to the kitchen. Her mother was feeding Damiel. A parcel, which Cora assumed was the dresses, sat on one side of the table.

"Morning mother." Cora said and sat down. Her mother mumbled something and continued feeding Damiel.

"Did you wear your best dress?" Melinda asked Cora later while looking at the dress from her neck to toes.

"Yes, mother." Cora answered.

"That means you are ready," Zirk said. "Remember, if you need directions-"

"Ask the stable boy." Cora cut in. Her father had been drilling her since he got home last night. No one spoke of Barun's leaving. It was like they wanted to forget, but she would never forget .

Zirk nodded. His heart swelled with pride. The joy he felt could not be contained, but even with all that happiness, he could not help but feel a pang of sadness. The city was a beautiful place in the castle too, but it held many dangers. He was not sure Cora was ready for that harsh world. The world he had to endure to provide for his family.

"I will go to the neighbouring town today and find work. Hopefully, the guards will not return for a while." He said and chewed the last of his bread.

"We have little left." Melinda added.

Melinda smiled at Cora. She had hoped for this day. It still surprised her that her husband agreed to this. He always protected Cora like a princess. But she was not a princess, she was a maiden of Bolivia and maidens do chores, chores that included helping their mother.