Chapter Nineteen. 🟢

Tivo got back from fetching wood to last them at least three days. He picked up two buckets from the back of the house and left for the well nearest to them. Cora used to help with the chores when she had no deliveries, but now she worked in the palace and had no time.

He was left to do all the chores alone, but he did not mind, for his sister he would do anything. She is working so they could feed; he trusted her. His father now focused on paying taxes, which were a lot.

If his father never had to pay taxes, they would be rich by now. He was young and could not understand a lot of things, but he knew when things were wrong. He could have been at the town square or Ovalon's training grounds by now. Tivo was of age, but Lord Septimus was gone and the new Prefect did not care for them.

Things were harder now than before. He could barely save up from loose change the townsmen blessed him with. No one gave him loose change, only his sister, who slipped a few copper coins into his pocket once in a while. He did not spend them, he could not. His sister worked hard for that.

None of their neighbors were at the well, which was good. He, like his sister, had no friends in the neighborhood. The boys here made fun of his sister too, and he hated that. But he did have a friend. They played in the field together, but his friend's family moved to the other end of town.

Tivo planned to see his friend again when they were of age to train, but that dream is gone. He did not want to be a soldier or a knight like his brother Barun, though sometimes he wished it. He just wanted to know how to fight so that he could protect his mother and father.

His father was always working. He spent every day in his workshop since he returned. His mother, on the other hand, stopped making dresses for important people. She could not afford the materials anymore now. She just sold it at Ovalon's market. It's a pity Cora started delivering for her now she would only do so for their father.

He needed to hurry so he can help his father. Yesterday, he watched his father put the finishing touches on a fine iron sword. He was learning to make weapons quickly, but for now he could only make small daggers his first he carried everywhere.

Tivo leaned his arm against his pocket to be sure it was there. His father helped him make the scabbard for the dagger that was barely the size of his hand, but it was beautifully made. He made it out of steel and designed the hilt and scabbard with tinny gem stones he found on the floor of the workshop.

Tivo could see the well from where he stood now. He smiled to himself and quickened his pace. He heard horses, which made him stop in his tracks, and raised his head, hoping it was Cora's friend. His parents met with him yesterday while he bought herbs from the market.

What met his eyes was not Cora's friends but soldiers all Calvary. Some drove carriages bearing the flag of Trevillia and in front of the riders, he could see the new Prefect or a man dressed like one.

They have returned!

Before the first door was kicked down, followed by a loud scream, Tivo ran with his empty buckets to warn his parents.

* * *

Zirk added coal to the fire. The last few days have been tiring for him though on purpose. He did not want his thoughts to bother him, rarely getting any sleep and working himself down helped. The sword he made was not for his use nor for sale. He wanted to make something for Tivo. He yelled at him the other day for using the wrong colour gem on a sword when he actually used the right one.

Zirk could not understand how his temper could rise easily like that. He feels bad each time he sees Tivo, for the poor boy avoided his gaze. He was only thirteen years of age and he has to suffer through this hardship.