Chapter Five.🟢

The tunnels were the only escape out of the palace; he had used it before. But it smelled terrible, and he was sure the Queen would be cautious this time. He was right, the former Queen of Trevillia was a pest to this kingdom.

He tried to get rid of her, but the king was too blind to see how evil she really was. He had done what was necessary. He thought he had saved them; he thought he had given them the chosen of the gods. He was wrong and his mistake led to the people's suffering.

He prayed to the gods every day to find out why they had deceived him, but he had no reply. She was very convincing, innocent, he thought, but she was the opposite. Maybe he did not see it then because they had a common enemy and she had helped him kill her. Her true colours appeared slowly after her coronation and, just like before, the king will not see it.

Icarus was worse than his father. In his case, he would see the evil and be proud of her for it. He sighed and rejoiced that he was not in the tunnel. They had been looking for a way into the castle. It was difficult now that Artemis knows to be weary of him, but one day he shall have his moment.

He had people spread everywhere but few in the castle. One of them informed him of the recent movement of the soldiers. He investigated it and realised he would not have to break into the palace. Now he awaits them at a secure location to ambush them.

The gods may have compensated him, for he now had a powerful ally, another mistake of Artemis. The people make the mistake of thinking she is still the girl she was twenty years ago, but she was not. He saw her for who she really was, Artemis.

He heard neighing from far; they were getting closer. He turned to the man on his left and nodded to him and he ran to alert his companion. He stood up to see if they were visible, but he saw nothing.

He rarely does this. He was too old for this, but he wanted him to trust him. He was nervous he would reject them no matter the good he had done. He did many bad too, so many than he can count, and Artemis is one of them. He felt a hand on his shoulders and turned.

A small smile played on his lips. He was happy to have this friend, though he knew he deserved nothing but loneliness.

"Do not worry he will not hate you." He voice said.

"It has been twenty years Septimus but it feels like it was yesterday. This man, I have never met him, I have only heard of him. I could have saved him you know. I could have saved him eight years of misery."

Septimus looked at his new friend, he was more of an old friend but now he was willing to go to war with him. He pitied him. It has only been two days since he was thrown away from the king's court, since he stopped being Prefect of ovalon. He loved it, it was his home and the only family he had left.

He thought about this man, he had only stayed with him for just a day but he pitied him. He suffered regret from a past mistake. That was the greatest punishment to him. He was not too old but he was old enough to be his father. The streaks of grey hair and beard showed that.

"It is not your fault, you did what you thought was right. You have not been able to correct your mistake but today will be a new beginning." Septimus told him.

He nodded and looked again but he saw nothing, he heard the sound of neighing but he saw nothing. He he sound was getting louder showing they were getting closer.

"Why do you think Artemis spared you?" He asked Septimus who followed his gaze towards the west.

"Who said she spared me, she will kill me that I know but I do not want to die without doing something for them, they are all I have." Septimus answered.