Chapter Twelve. 🟢

She was not making any plans to stop. Lady Sorsha felt tired standing in front of the mirror and ordered the maid to lift a very heavy chair to the front of the mirror. She sat down gracefully and continued her admiration. Cora could feel the tears tearing at her eyelids. Her feet were tired of standing. She was weak and starving.

Thoughts of eating a decent meal floated through her mind. She could feel Rue's discomfort at being here. Cora stretched her neck to see what exactly the woman did in front of the mirror. She had changed her hairstyle for the tenth time since she wore the dress. Cora frowned, her fist clenched as she saw the Lady sitting there smiling at her reflection. By the gods.

Lady Sorsha got up, as if reading Cora's murder plans, and smiled at her.

"I am satisfied with your delivery," She said with a proud, demeaning smile on her face.

She nodded to her maid, who disappeared into the secluded part of the room and returned with a small pouch. Maybe she was used to her mistress's' demands, or the maid was strong enough to intimidate her. The lady took the pouch from the maid, which she held above her head while bowing low.

The lady signalled for Cora to stretch forth her hand and she did. She threw three silver coins in her hand. Did she think peasants were cursed? Does she realize a peasant made her dress with her hands? Cora wondered.

Her eyes moved to the coins, three pieces of silver, not copper, silver. This was too much.

"The dress is already paid for, my lady," Cora said, giving the coins back to her.

She was already getting used to the cool feeling it brought to her palm.

"That is for you. I hope to see you again soon," the lady said, dismissing Cora.

I hope not. Cora thought as she left the woman's presence. No amount of extra coins will make her wish to be back here. She added the coins to her saving pouch. If only she could find a bookstore, then they would be put to good use.

Her growling stomach reminded her she was hungry. She pulled out two copper pieces and held them in her palm as she passed the guards again. She had to find food in the city and find a secret place to feed Rue.

'I am really sorry Rue,' she apologized in her mind.

Today, she would explore the capital of Trevillia. She spent the previous night reading all her drowsy eyes could of the city. It is the biggest city of the seven kingdoms. Cora hoped to finish the book soon. She wanted to know why Trevillia was the greatest kingdom among the seven.

Cora tried to find her way back to the market, hoping she took the right turn around the city's tall buildings. She started noting some buildings to find her way around. She thanked the gods when she arrived at the entrance to the vast market. Using the back of her hand to wipe the beads of sweat on her face, she paved her way through the crowded and noisy market.

Ovalon was a silent town except for the occasional clanging of metal. It was peaceful, unlike the city which was very busy, people were always doing something. The smell of freshly baked bread and cake filled her nose. The aroma satisfied a bit of her hunger as she followed it. Soon she saw the small bakery ahead of her.

A small Plump woman arranged a tray of cakes by the window and from the steam rising from it Cora knew it was hot. She suddenly felt the need to thank Lady Sorsha, because of how much time she took Cora was right on time for the afternoon batch.

Pleading with her feet to move faster, she eyed the bakery with close supervision, afraid it might disappear any moment or fall apart like the building in her dream. But none of that happened. The top of the small shop held a sign that read "Zelda's Bakery." in bold print.