Chapter Twenty-four.🟢

The blue light expanded in space and grew brighter as they rode closer, but it remained further away. They rode their Uzatars for a long time but still did not reach the light. It seems for every step their beast took the light grew brighter and drifted further.

They kept riding not allowing this fact to weigh on their zeal. If they had to, they would chase the gates till they caught up with it.

Barun struggled with the reins of his beast due to his injured arm. The pain was unlike anything he had ever felt, but that was unimportant; they had to get through that gate and deliver their message. His sight was getting foggy, and he was starting to welcome thoughts of a comfortable bed to rest in.

He shook the thoughts aside and refocused his sight on the bright light. He could not understand. They had been riding for a long time now, but the distance seemed exactly the same like they never moved an inch. He could not tell the distance they had covered because all the mountains were alike.

The bright blue light stopped expanding in width and on instinct Barun raised his good hand up, stopping his Uzatar with a kick to its left side. His companions followed suit after him.

"Impossible!" Lida muttered and turned to Barun. "We have not moved even an inch closer yet. We have ridden for a time too long." he said.

"Aye, we go no further." Barun answered.

His eyes were trained on the light as he swallowed his pain, along with his saliva. His companions needed his strength and he will not fail them.

"How is this possible?" Logan cried out.

"It is Dabrack anything is possible,"

"And who told you that, your little sister?" Logan murmured with a smirk. He did not intend for Barun to hear him, but he did.

"As a matter of fact, yes, think of it this way Logan, my sister's book did not say the gate shows itself to the worthy. It vividly said that at the gates of Dabrack visits only the worthy."

"What in the name of the gods is the difference between visit and show?" Logan retorted, clearly annoyed at their present predicament.

"If you are to get a visit, it will come to you. I think we should stay still, as Sir Barun instructs." Jaquia says making Barun smile.

Barun noticed that she clutched a dagger in her hands, probably from the bandits. He wished she had left them on their suicide mission; he would be responsible for her death if they die at the gates now. Barun and his companions got tired of watching the bright light and climbed down from their Uzatar. He was tempted to go for a short nap as he felt his eyes grow weary.

Logan resulted in counting the outer shells of the Uzatar and for a minute Barun was drawn into it when he noticed that he could see Logan's Uzatar more clearly than he was supposed to since it was nighttime and his vision was slightly blurred. He turned back to the light and saw that it had moved almost halfway to their position.

"Barun." he heard Lida call.

Lida's voice echoed as if from a far distance, but Barun shook it off. The light was indeed coming to visit them. All they had to do was wait. Zirk always said patience was a virtue that can take you to places you cannot imagine.

"I see it too...brother." His breathing slowed.

It was becoming too difficult to ignore the pain from his arm. A normal man would be wailing uncontrollably, but he was no normal man. He is a Knight and a true Knight endures the worst of pains.

"I was not referring to that," Lida answered.

Barun felt dizzy. He wished Lida could speak louder so he could hear better.