yang jungwon • the flight

You languidly placed your luggage over the compartment above your head, sitting on your designated chair with a heavy sigh before fishing out your phone from your bag on the seat beside you to turn the airplane mode icon on. You leaned your head against the glass windows of the plane, sighing for the nth time as your eyes gazed through the dull, gray pavement out.

Your plane ride home wasn't supposed to be like this. You were supposed to sit with your best friend on the ride back but upon further inspection in your plane tickets, she somehow got an exclusive seat far from you; most likely for the business class while the both of you were clueless as to how and why she suddenly got an expensive seat for the cost of a normal one. So here you were, slumped down on your seat like a total loser with an evident frown painting your face.

Before you could even think of cussing the plane agency out, a voice pulled you out of your mildly raging thoughts.

"Uh, hi." A boy, a boy most probably near your age stood in the aisle of your seat. You mentally grumbled and began spouting off words you never bother saying in person when you realized that you were gonna have to talk and socialize to other people; not that it was necessary but at times when someone just has to ask something to you, yes, yes you have no choice but to talk back in the most kind way you could possibly muster.

You raised a brow, relaxing the muscles twitching in your face as you faced the intruder. "Yes? Do you need anything?"

The boy shook his head. "Other than I need you to take your bag off my chair, there's nothing I need from you, really." He said, pointing towards your bag that was on the vacant seat beside you.

Ignoring the slight sass of his voice as he talked, you mentally rolled your eyes and took your bag off, placing it by your lap before hugging it close to your chest.

"Thanks." You nodded as the unknown boy settled himself beside you.

It was then nothing but plain silence, between the two of you. You simply sat and waited for the plane to  finish boarding passengers and take off so you can finally put yourself out of this awkward misery that to be honest, was just probably on you.

You were supposed to shut up. That was the plan, shut up and wait for your plane to land back in your country before you speak again but it seems that the fate has other better plans for you and your sassy seatmate the moment he pulled out a familiar manga book from his bag.

Your eyes visibly widened while the boy remained unfazed and ignorant. Judging by the cover, it was the volume that you haven't read yet so in order to not spoil yourself, you leaned yourself further on to your left side where the wall and the window awaits for you to lean on.  You wrapped your arms around yourself, taking your phone out and clicking it open just to see it completely shut down right in front of your very eyes. You groaned.

"Uh… Are you okay?" You snapped your head to look at the boy beside you, keeping your useless phone back inside your bag.

I didn’t even notice it was close to shutting down. 

You nodded your head mindlessly. "Yes."

"Am I making you uncomfortable?" You stared at the boy again. Ha, your social awkwardness seemed to have gone off the window alongside your sanity at this point.

You shook your head. "Why do you ask that?"

It took the boy a few silent minutes to reply, head tilting and brows raised as if asking you ‘You're seriously asking me that?’ ㅡ only for you to realize your position on your seat.

You awkwardly straightened your posture up, trying your best to not have your eyes fall onto the manga that he was holding. You cleared your throat. "N-no, I'm okay."

The boy shrugged and returned back to his manga after giving you one last side glance. You sighed yet again before turning your head back to the window beside you only to hear that the plane was ready for take off as you braced yourself when the plane began ascending.

A few minutes had gone by since the plane was up in the air and you were simply sitting down on your seat idly with pretty much nothing to do. On your right resided the same ravenette with his attention all focused on reading his manga. The sound of the crisp pages turning every few while genuinely bothered you deep inside but of course, you tried your all to not let your eyes fall even just an inch inside the manga panels that seemed to pull you in no matter how much you mentally tell yourself no.

An hour passed with you doing nothing; an exceptional event to be honest as you weren't one to stay put on your seat while doing absolutely none. You mentally praised yourself from that small achievement that you have now unlocked. However, just as you thought of giving yourself a pat on the back (mentally, of course), the piercing gaze of your seatmate to your right made you awkwardly shuffle closer to the window; not that you had any more free space to occupy because you've already done that during the passing  hour where you sat completely still on your seat. Slowly, you raised your eyes to meet the piercing one's beside you.

As expected he was staring still at you even you've already returned his gaze. You can feel the coldness seeping through your spine as you held eye contact with the stranger for more than fifteen seconds.

Another achievementㅡ

"What?" You mumbled, deciding that the eye contact challenge with him was thoroughly done after the passing thirty seconds.

The ravenette said nothing but shuffled through his bag and pulled an iPad, which you guessed was his for obvious reasons. He then pulled another item, an earphone before passing them onto you without any second thought as you simply gawked at him with the things on your hands.

"Dude the fuck? What am I gonna do with this?" The boy clicked his tongue, snapping his manga copy close before turning the iPad on for you.

"I have downloaded anime selections you could watch there." He simply told you. "You're acting all stiff and bothered in your seat I can't focus on reading."

Appreciating his small gesture, you simply nodded. But of course, being one nosy piece of shit that you are, you opened your mouth to ask him a question. "But why? I mean we're basically strangers inside this plane and you're easily lending me your things, are you not afraid I might run off and sell these?"

"First of all, where would run off to? The air?" You grumbled. Smartass. "And second of all, I'm doing this because I've noticed that you're literally doing nothing except sit down. Out of my kind nature I thought of making you borrow it so you could stop acting like an obnoxious imbecile on your spot."

If it weren't for his kind gesture, you would've probably already made another annoying, sarcastic remark like a little bitch but instead, you simply nodded your head; after shooting another question. "How did you even know I like anime?"

The boy shot you a look of disbelief, pointing towards the hoodie that you were wearing where your favorite anime character was printed. "And I also noticed your keychain so I just assumed that you did." He began reading again, gingerly opening the manga like how you would do so especially when it's newly purchased and released, in a very careful and gentle manner like he didn't snap it close a few while ago.

You didn't bother questioning him again and indulged yourself with the array of anime selection he's got all downloaded and ready to watch. Muttering a soft thanks, you clicked on the anime that you decided to watch, nuzzling on your chair and positioning yourself to a comfortable one to accommodate yourself as you start your anime binge watching session.

"Dude no way! You're literally cheating!"

"Was not. You just suck at this game."

"Oh I give up, you probably manipulated this game or whatever."

The boy- whom yes, you still haven’t gotten the name of, hence you call him the boy, placed his uno cards on his lap, chuckling. "How the fuck could I even manipulate card games?"

"I don't know. Why don't you tell me how you did it." You shrugged, pushing your hair back before adjusting the beanie that laid on the top of your head.

"Girl bye, I literally didn't. You just suck. You literally don't know how the game works."

"I'm gonna punch you." Despite the threat that lingered in the tone of your voice, the ravenette simply laughed before keeping all of the uno cards back inside the box and onto the bag on his lap.

He passed you the chips and snacks that you bought from the trolley. "Ha Ha. You're literally someone who I think could make a child cry by seeing your face you don't have to use force on me now girlie."

You scrunched your nose. "The fuck don't call me girlie, boy… lie."

"That was gross ew. And what would you rather me call you then? I didn't catch your name."

You inwardly cringed from mild embarrassment. It's an hour and a half before you land back home and you've spent the majority of the plane ride either watching some more animes with the ravenette, or talk about the most random shit there is with him, or play some more games like a bunch of five year olds. To be honest, you didn't even expect for the specimen of the opposite gender to have a more cool and nice side to him after the few times he's sassed you. But alas, apparently there are so many more to a person despite how they seem to be the very first instance you meet them. Ah, but they do say the cliché, ‘Do not judge a book by its cover.’

Ripping one of the unhealthy chips from the variety that you both compiled, you told him. "[Y/N], [Y/N] [L/N]. That's my name."

"Well, it's nice to meet you [Y/N]. My name's Jungwon, Yang Jungwon."