7

S E V E N

• • •

ADA

WHEN THE SUMMER WAS OVER, ELISEO MOVED TO UNIVERSITY AND I STARTED SOPHOMORE YEAR.

He would also miss my birthday for the first time ever because he would be a good couple of miles away.

I almost cried when we left him at the airport and almost wished that I hadn't trudged along with him and his family to send him off. It hurt a lot to watch him go because I knew that everything would be different when he came back.

I wondered how long would it be before he would be swapped by smutty parties and hot college girls and he'd forgot all about me and my desperate attempt to cling to whatever we had.

Wow, I'm depressed.

"Mario," I called for my best friend's attention, trying to distract myself from my upsetting thoughts, "I want to ask you something."

We were sitting on the hood of what used to be Eliseo's car because Mario had no choice but to accept the hand-me-down when it was offered to him on a no deal because since Rosa refused to buy him a new car.

Despite it being a used car, the car now owned by Mario was an extremely fancy and expensive car for a young teenager own, especially when normal kids were still saving up for their first car–aka, me.

At least not everything was handed to these brothers on a silver platter and Rosa had promised Mario that in time if he worked hard enough, she'd buy him the car of his dreams when he deserved it.

"Hm?" Mario finally looked up from his phone when my tugging became too persistent, his face creased into an irritated scowl, "God—Addie, stop it! What is it?"

I smiled innocently, pretending like I hadn't just preyed on one of Mario's pet peeves. "I just want to ask you something," I paused as Mario blinked at expectantly, his lips impatiently, "Do you think..." I felt slightly awkward about what I was about to ask but I decided it was time, "Do you think that you could introduce me to some of your friends properly? I don't really know them per say..."

Eliseo had advised me to step out of my comfort zone and make more friends before he left. He'd told me in the nicest way possible that I needed to adopt better socialising skills and put myself out there and he was right.

I was terrified of people and I needed to rid of myself of this irrational fear. The Matthiou brothers couldn't be my only friends for life even if the thought did satisfy and fulfil me in a way that it shouldn't.