39

T H I R T Y - N I N E

• • •

ADA

I DIDN'T MEAN TO EAVESDROP.

I wasn't the kind of person who usually intruded in on people's private conversations or moments but I couldn't help but stop and listen when I heard the gleeful giggles floating from my sister's room. She had never sounded so excited before.

It was gross.

"I promise to see you this weekend," Fahjah said sultrily to whoever was on the phone, "Don't worry about it. I will find a way to see you."

Find a way to see who?

I inclined my ear closer to Fahjah's bedroom door, wanting to hear more clearly. As far as I was concerned, Fahjah was with nobody. She didn't do commitments and hadn't had a 'boyfriend' since middle school. So who did she want to see? Who was this person that she sounded so happy talking to?

"Tomorrow?" Fahjah groaned loudly, "You know I can't do tomorrow, babe!"

My brows rocketed upwards.

Babe?

A lover?

"Cause I know that you will force me to sleep over!" My sister whined in protest, "And you know that I can't do that on a school week!"

Sleepover? She was having secret sleepovers with this lover? It really shouldn't have shocked me but at the same time, it did. Did I really expect Fahjah to tell me she had a boyfriend? We sadly weren't that close.

"Don't be putting pressure on me and shit!" She continued her blabbering, "Be patient, Jamel!" My eyes widened, "Don't be acting like you don't see me everyday after school anyway-"

"-What are you doing?"

I jumped at the sound of Zena's voice, springing a hand over my beating heart.

Scowling, I pointed the obvious out to her. "You scared me."

My little sister crossed her arms, raising her brows suspiciously at me. "I asked you what you are doing," She repeated, "Are you eavesdropping-"

I quickly rammed a hand over her rabbling mouth, muffling her words. "Shh!" I hissed, "No, I am not!"

I totally was.