30

T H I R T Y

• • •

ADA

"WHY CAN'T WE GO AND JOIN THEM?"

Aaliyah was clearly one of those people who didn't understand the 'this was a place but not your place' concept.

She acted like she could always do what she wanted because she fearless and confident but perhaps what she didn't understand was that we couldn't just join the crowd on the court because we wanted to.

Among them, we didn't have a place.

"Because," I protested, tugging Aaliyah back as she attempted to stray out of our hiding place, "They wouldn't want us there. It will be awkward."

We had stalked Eliseo and his group of friends to a basketball court, somewhere Eliseo and his friends always hung out when they were back in town.

They had pulled up in front of his house in a two big trucks, proceeding him to drag him out of his house.

They all came for him; Hakeem, Walby, Madeline, and two others I recognised but not well enough to put a name to their faces.

They were now in the middle of game with Eliseo leading a team with the two of no name faces which was obviously biased because Eliseo was the most experienced basketball player on the court which meant his team had an advantage.

"So?" Aaliyah shrugged, looking like she could care less, "I actually want to play. And you know them. What is wrong with us asking to join the game?"

I gaped at her.

Did she not get it?

Everything was wrong about the idea of us just walking up to them and asking-

"Hey!"

Before I knew it Aaliyah was up and taking me with her, dragging me forward with her determinedly and audaciously. Like it wouldn't look strange if we just turned up out of nowhere. Like we were stalking them.

Which we kind of was.

It took a minute but they did notice us eventually coming up to them.

"Look," I read Walby's lips as he elbowed Hakeem who stood beside him, causing him to swing  his curious gaze to us, "Over there."

Hakeem's expression withered at the realisation of us, his face scrunching into an unpleasant glare of acknowledgment.

"Pass the ball!" Madeline screeched impatiently, unaware of what was going on, "Why are we stopping-oh."

Everybody had stopped and turned their attention towards us, making me fight the urge to turn and run.

Sneakily I shuffled behind Aaliyah and listened as she confronted the group of snobs, feeling suffocated by the attention.