42

F O U R T Y - T W O

• • •

ADA

"HAVE YOU HEARD?"

Gossip travelled fast around Easlington.

People had been talking a lot more recently and it had me on the edge thinking that they could be talking about me. Not that anyone could really say anything bad about me since I was the most boring unproblematic person out there.

Or so I hoped.

"Heard what?" I snagged a pen from my English partner's pencil case, distractedly scribbling on the edge of my book, "What have you heard?"

Wendy was the girl that I had shared a desk with for the past year and she was also the girl who liked to talk until her lips cracked. She was lovely but there was only so much of her rambles I could take before miserably spacing out. But I appreciated her. Even if she had only warmed up to me this year, she was really good for spilling all the tea and keeping me up to date on school gossip.

"The guys," She lowered her voice, stooping her head downwards to look me straight in the eyes, "The rankings...have you not heard?"

I paused deliberately, cocking an ignorant brow. "Not really," I drawled suspiciously, "But you could tell me what and who the rankings were specifically about."

Wendy's face immediately split into a delighted beam at my request, eager to share whatever she knew with me. "Totally!" She leaned in towards me, clasping her hands together, "I will explain everything!"

I shuffled closer to her. "Please do."

"So," She begun eagerly, her cheek in her palm as she held my curious gaze, "Yesterday, the boys' group chat messages was exposed. The boys as in- 'the jocks' of course. Just like last year! Crazy coincidence, right?"

"Right." I agreed half-heartedly.

Not really.

These rankings were literally outed every year with the malicious intention to reshuffle the social ladder. Some people had to go down and others up based on their popularity. It was almost tradition at this point.

"They were saying all sorts of shit on their group chat!" Wendy unintentionally diverted into a disgruntled spat, obviously passionate about the objectification of women as any girl should be, "Boys are so nasty! They were just talking about sex, sex, and sex! Then about asses and boobs. And then about more sex! It was just disgusting!"