63

S I X T Y - T H R E E

  • • •

ADA

AALIYAH HAD BEEN RAMBLING ON AND ON FOR THE PAST HALF HOUR.

Unfortunately for her, I was more focused on search for the perfect hairdresser to install my hair in time for my 18th birthday in September because it was already reaching the end of July.

One month. That was all I had.

"Are you listening to me?" Aaliyah threw a magazine across at me, finally getting a knee-jerking reaction out of me after I'd been deliberately ignoring her for the few past minutes, "I said–look. Look at this list of generational heirs and tell me that you don't feel the slightest bit of envy."

Unfortunately, it had become one of Aaliyah's favourite hobbies to internet surf and look up celebrity gossip in her free time.

She genuinely liked to look up information about other people's lives, indulging in it and discussing it like it was world politics.

Most of the time, I had to sit there and pretend I cared when she raved about how jealous she was over the lives of others and how she dreamed of becoming like them.

It was annoying but entertaining at the same time.

"What?" I looked up to find that she was still at her desk on her PC reading up crap, "Jealous of what?"

Aaliyah sighed impatiently at my lack of attentiveness.

"Look at the faces of these young rich heirs," Aaliyah pulled back so I could clearly see what she was talking about, "Is me or they just get prettier and prettier, and younger and younger?"

I locked off my phone, trying to tune into what she was saying. "I don't know," I shuffled off the bed, moving to sit in the chair she'd brought into her room from the kitchen for me just so I could sit next to her for things like this, "I guess?"

Speaking of rich heirs, Aaliyah was actually really well off herself but she seemed to forget that almost all the time.

Her house may have been next to mine but she had a much larger backyard and their backyard even accommodated a small pool. In a way, you could say that Aaliyah was modestly rich.

"And some of them are just so handsome!" Aaliyah went on gushing, not seeing me sigh impatiently, "Like him–Aleksei Kotov. Total hottie, right? And he's just twenty-five? Crazy!"

I narrowed my eyes, leaning in to get a closer look at the cold blonde beauty in the picture she was pointing at.

"He is really pretty," I agreed quietly, focusing on the clear image of the man on the screen, "But he looks older than twenty-five."