26

T W E N T Y - S I X

• • •

ADA

THE NEXT DAY, I STAYED IN BED TILL LATE.

I felt too comfortable to move out from bed in the morning and so I settled for waking up at 2pm.

By the time I was up and had gotten ready Mom was out running errands, Zena had tagged off to God knows where and, I had only just realised that Fahjah never  came home from her night out in the first place.

As I sat down on my couch I realised that I was feeling very lonely, feeling a little depressed.

Wow.

I almost toppled off my couch in surprise when the door bell rang, the sound startling me in the dead miserable silence.

Maybe I wasn't dead to the world after all.

I tugged down my pyjama bottoms and scampered to open the front door, my footsteps light and hurried.

I threw the door open and froze, my lips parting in shock.

"H-hey?" I spluttered unattractively to the only man in the world who got me tongue twisted like this, "W-what are you doing here?"

It was Eliseo Matthiou standing in front of me in all his glory, a bag clutched in his hand like he was a man on a mission.

He looked like he'd just left his house, sporting a thin white vest with his silver cross chain dangling around his neck and black basketball shorts hanging low on his waist.

This look was still his signature style despite the fact that he had stopped playing basketball all the way in sophomore year high-school and he never even spoke about basketball anymore. Something about this look that made him appear boyish but irresistible at the same time and I loved it.

His deep molten voice startled out of my daze as he spoke, my heart jumping to my throat.

"Are you not going to let me in, fawn?"

As if I would refuse him.

I blinked slowly, taking the bag that he was offering from his fingers before I stepped aside to let him in.

Eliseo strolled casually into my home, shuffling off his shoes by the front door courteously like he knew my Mom liked people to do.

I curiously peeked into the bag he gave me as we started for the living room, my eyes widening in pleasant surprise. "Are these-"

"Souvenirs, yes," He confirmed as a smile broke out on my face, his tone unperturbed, "I got them in Greece. Nice, right?"

He went to Greece? Was that why he had come home so late?