15

F I F T E E N

• • •

ADA

I WAS IN A BIT OF A PREDICAMENT CONCERNING ELISEO'S UPCOMING BIRTHDAY.

For my birthday in September, he'd mailed me a bunch of different treats and even wished me at midnight on the dot.

This was my first year considering giving him a birthday gift of any sort.

What did I want to get him? On what scale did I want to impress him? If I over did it, would he know something was up? Like I was low-key in love with him?

"Hey."

I gasped softly, whirling around to face Case.

Case and I had been getting along well at the diner recently. He was a little distant and to himself but he was polite. He also wasn't very talkative so it surprised me when he spoke to me at all.

"Oh hi," I greeted him back, blinking away the shock, "You scared me."

Case arched a brow, swerving to stand beside me by the sink. "Did I?" He mumbled unfazed, "Sorry."

I watched curiously as he picked up a cloth and begun to wipe the dishes that I was diligently washing.

"Thanks," I voiced with a smile, "You don't have to."

Case shrugged. "I want to," He insisted, "So I was wondering...what school do you go to?"

"Easlington High," I answered him swiftly, "Kind of local. You've probably heard of it."

Case was one year older than me and was in junior year high-school. He obviously didn't go to the same school as me because I would've noticed him by now. He had this cool classic bad boy vibe going on and he was also eye candy.

I reckoned that he was very popular in his own school. His smile alone was very charming. Rare but charming.

"You must live on the rich side of town then." Case muttered.

Easy to assume.

"Kind of. My Dad's a good business man," I clarified instantly, "That is how we got lucky. But we ain't like super rich folks, you know?"

Case smiled thinly. "Right," He said, "But you are well off, right? At least middle class?"

I didn't exactly know where this conversation was going but I nodded anyway. "At least middle class."

Case nodded calmly at my answer and then went back to wiping quietly. That left me starring confusedly at him.

Did I say something wrong?

"I was only curious," Like Case could read my jumbled thoughts, he explained himself to me, "Don't mind me. I just don't know how to keep up conversations."