9

N I N E

• • •

ELISEO WAS COMING HOME.

As soon as I woke up on the 23rd December morning, I showered, threw on some clothes, and flew across to the house opposite my own. I was feeling excited, anxious, and relieved all at the same time. Eliseo was all I had been thinking about for the past couple of days and it was driving me insane.

I needed to see him.

When I pressed their doorbell, it was surprisingly little Rafael that opened up the door me. When he threw himself at me, I picked him up and laughed.

If I wasn't sure of anything in this world, there was one thing I was sure of which was that Rafael loved me and would never forget me. He didn't even have a choice anyway. I was his voluntary nanny and godmother.

"Addie!" He cried out happily, circling his arms around my neck, "Everybody! Addie is here!"

It was a lot being Rafael's unofficial godmother. Typically, I spent more pocket money on him than I spent any time teaching him anything about the gospel but it was fine. Rafael was a lot of work but I loved him too much to care. That boy was my angel.

"Where is everybody?" I asked after Rafael and I exchanged our habitual kisses, "It's so silent."

Once, it had been all lip kisses and cute smooches with Rafael until he decided to grow up. He didn't like sharing lips with anybody in his family anymore, including me. After he saw that his brothers weren't getting showered with kisses every second of the day, he started protesting against them. He only settled for cheeks and forehead kisses now.

"Well, Mama is still in bed and Mario is also still in bed," Rafael explained, burying his face into my neck, "And I want food. I've brushed my teeth and everything! Make me food, Addie."

That meant Romeo and Eliseo hadn't arrived yet either. I guessed that would give me more time to mentally prep myself. I couldn't feel disappointed yet.

"Okay, fine," I carefully sat Rafael in the couch, making my way towards the kitchen. "What do you want, little baby?"

Rafael huffed loudly. "I am not a baby anymore! I am a man!" He interjected, "And I want some frittata!"

To be honest, Rafael was a little spoiled. He demanded things and never asked for them. Only Mommy Conti put him in his place but even then, his brothers were no help since they constantly babied him as well. It was hard not to baby Rafael. He was the last treasure of the family and the cutest one too.

I thought about telling him no and instructing him to eat cereal instead for a change but I couldn't. Not when he was gazing at me with those big starry eyes of his.