56

F I F T Y - S I X

• • •

ADA

"I THINK YOU SHOULD GO FOR LONG AND STRAIGHT."

Aaliyah was helping me buy my first wig.

I'd wanted for so long to try anything either that braids or gelled hair and with the summer coming, it was my chance to start thinking about buying my first wig. I didn't even need a wig if I was being honest with myself because my big Afro curls straightened were just as anybody good as installing a straight hair wig on my head.

I just wanted to try something new. I was turning eighteen in a little more than three months so why not? Wasn't I becoming a big girl now?

"Really?" I weighed Aaliyah's suggestion, pursing my lips pensively, "I was thinking more loose and wavy. I don't know why but I see myself with bodywave hair."

Lea was nestled next to me, looking the most confused than she'd ever been. I could tell that she didn't understand all of the hair talk but she didn't bother asking questions and just listened to us talk. Lea was learning something though. She always listened and enlightened herself.

"I see that on you too," Aaliyah agreed, forefinger tapping her chin, "This is hard. I want your first wig to go hard. Even a bob hair would look good on you, you know? I don't know-I just feel that you have the angelic kind of face that would bring out the prettiness of any hair. It's up to you, Addie. Whatever you choose, you would look great."

"Lea," I whirled my head to the girl on my left, "What do you think?"

Lea looked caught off guard. "I-I," She stammered hesitantly, "P-personally I would looked to see you with straight long hair. It would be different...?"

I smiled encouragingly at her. "Thanks, I kind of agree."

I pretended not to see Lea sigh out in relief.

"Good." She muttered under her breath.

It was natural for her to be feeling a little anxious. She didn't want to sound ignorant or rude around us but it wasn't like I was waiting for her to slip up. She could relax.

"I think I need a third opinion," I proposed, "Maybe Mario?"

"Yeah, ask the idiot for a third opinion," Aaliyah mocked the idea sarcastically, "He would totally know what to say."

I gently elbowed her. "It was just a suggestion."

"I didn't say you couldn't," Aaliyah Preston snorted, "But what does he know?"