16

Asami

There's nothing more uncomfortable than walking in an awkward silence, especially when the person I'm walking next to is Korra. The kind, loud mouth disrupter of every lesson who had turned up to my house unannounced and made herself at home on my sofa. I have so many questions I don't even know where to start, hence why we're walking in silence. I brought my coat this time and my hands are warming themselves up in the pockets. Korra brought the same coat as she did last time, her dad's, and she's letting her arms swing whilst she walks. Are her hands not cold?

I'm not sure why I came out here, probably the fact that it would be a little awkward to reject Korra's intentions in front of my parents. Quietly ask her to leave whilst my parents watch in confusion. So I got myself ready and said a few little goodbyes to my parents before Korra and I walked like we're walking now. 3 feet away from eachother like we're strangers that happen to be matching the same pace.

I take a look up from the pavement and see that we've been walking through the same streets for a while now, in silence, deafening silence that's making it harder to breathe. Where are we even going?
"So.." I jump at the sound of her voice.
"Why have you been avoiding me Sato?"

Out of all the questions she could've asked.
"I'm not avoiding you." I say, keeping my gaze on the floor again. There's a skip in her step and then I notice that our footsteps are in sync.

"You bolted before I could even say anything to you today." She replies.
"And you didn't wait for me by the gate either."

"Why would I?" I question.

The air from her nose is almost like a cloud as she huffs, it's cold, really cold.
"Did you forget about the project or something?" she chuckles.

"You said you couldn't make it after school today." I reply and I look towards her, brows furrowed. Did she forget?

Her face scrunches up which makes me even more confused. She really did forget didn't she.
"Wait, what are you talking about? I didn't say anything about that today." Her voice almost squeaks.

"Mako told me you were busy." I say. As the words filter out of my mouth and into her ears, I watch her confusion turn into frustration which then lead to complete and utter rage.

"Mako?" She turns away, biting the side of her cheek.
"That asshole."

"So you didn't actually want to cancel today?" I ask, unsure with what's going on.

"Of course I didn't, I've been waiting for this since we went to Downtown beach." Korra exclaims.

I'm a fucking idiot, I should've asked Mako more questions, I should've maybe considered actually talking to Korra instead of being some stubborn brat. I stop myself from smacking my face with annoyance over myself, I don't want to make myself look like a fool more than I already am.
"Why do you think Mako did that?" I question.

She sighs and the wisps of air blow out in front of her again.
"I have no idea but I'll sort it out tomorrow." She says and gives me a glance.
"I just want to spend time with you right now."

She gives me a smile, the same smile she always gives me, and for the first time I notice how blue her eyes are. I turn away, feeling a sudden heat rise inside my chest.
"I'm sorry." I mumble into the collar of my coat.
"..for avoiding you."

"It's alright, I'm sorry too for being busy and about Mako."

She shouldn't have to apologise for that, I wanted to tell her that but my lips are glued shut.
"It's okay." Those two were the only words my mouth let out. after I few steps I give her a quick side glance, her hands are in her coat pocket now and our steps were still in sync. There's not 3 steps between us but 2.
"Where are we going by the way?" I ask.