19

Korra

My mum was always one for surprises, each day a multitude of tiny things... how they made me smile from toe to lips. Which hand was my cookie in? Which way would we walk to school? Would be splashing in puddles or leaping over? Would we dance our special jig if we saw a cat? It was so fun, all those everyday adventures... I can still feel her excitement at seeing a simple flower or the way the light played upon the path. In a life so ordinary it was her that was extraordinary, not because she was given so much, yet because she made it that way. Now things have changed a lot. She surprises me differently now. Would she be awake today? Would she be sober or completely out of it?

I peep into the living room where she's made herself comfy on the sofa, fast asleep. She called me home earlier but when I got here she was out flat like she is now, I wonder what she needed. I sit back down at the table with the countless amounts of bills laid out in front of me. I still haven't been accepted into any type of job yet and it's starting to worry the fuck out of me.

I need to take a break, I've been at this for hours trying to figure out how I'm supposed to pay these things off. I should call Kuvira but I know I shouldn't at the same time. Knowing her, she'd probably end up setting up some money raising bake sale or something to try and help out. That's something I don't want, even though she'll only be trying to help I'd rather she'd do it in a less humiliating way.

There's so much here to go through, the electricity bill is the most expensive from what I see. Maybe I should stop using the lights as much and use candles instead, charge my phone up at school or something, I don't know. My phone buzzes in my pocket and I instantly take a look at it. It's my mum asking where I am. I laugh and get up from my seat so I could saunter into the living room. She was awake, sat up on the sofa looking like some disco ball in red lipstick and crazy hair. The worry from her eyes disappears once she looks at me and a tired smile displays on her face.

"You had me worried." She croaks and holds her arms out. I make my way over and hug her tightly.
"Where were you?"

"I didn't mean to be gone for long." I sigh into her shoulder. Her clothing reeked of that amber liquid that she drinks almost everyday.
"I was at a friend's house working on a project."

She pulled away from the hug.
"A project? You never told me about that."

"Well now you know." I reply with a smile.

"For what subject?" I see her reaching for the coffee table, where all the glasses and bottles were.

I shuffle myself infront of her, earning her full attention. She can't reach them now.
"English."

She awkwardly retracts her hand and sets it by her side on the sofa.
"I'm guessing you went to Kuvira's?"

"No actually, I've been paired with someone new." I say. I move the bottles out of the way so I can sit down on the coffee table opposite her.
"Her names Asami."

My mum hums in thought.
"Have you mentioned her before?"

"Once or twice." I shrug.
"Maybe three."

"That girl with the glasses?"

I nod, smiling like an idiot. I can't remember the last time I mentioned Asami to my mum. I think it was when dad was here.
"Yeah, her."

"So looks like you've managed to talk to her then." My mum chuckles. She remembers...

I join in with her giggles.
"Yeah, it took a while but we're getting along just fine."

"That's good to hear." She says. She inhales a sharp breath and her hand automatically goes straight to the side of her head. Probably a headache. With that thought in mind, I gently grab my mums hand and lead her to the kitchen slowly. She sits down at the table and waits there whilst I grab her some pain killers and a glass of water.