Let's Look For Eggs

(Regina and Cady sit at an outdoor table in Regina's parents huge yard. The whole family is around celebrating Easter. All the children run around playing)

Regina: *sighs* Cady, why did we have to come here?

Cady: Because it's a holiday? And your mother invited us! We couldn't just...not show up.

Regina: Yeah we could've. It's easy. We just don't get in the car, and we don't drive here. Simple.

Cady: Hon, it's important to be with people you love on holidays. Your mother would've been extremely upset we didn't come. Besides, it allows the kids to have fun and play with all the other children in the family.

Regina: Yeah....they seem to be the only ones actually having a good time....

Cady: *sighs* You need to work on not blabbing your opinion when we're around the people that opinion is about.

Regina: You just got done explaining to the children how honesty is the best policy after Ithilien lied about stealing an extra cookie from the pantry. *brings her voice down a little lower* But you and I both know that even if he came out and told the truth...we still would've had to discipline him. So...it's a lose lose situation! The real lesson should be "if you can't do the time don't do the crime".

Cady: *rolls eyes* No, the point of the "honesty" lesson is to ensure my children don't lie to me when I want to know something. It doesn't mean they won't get punished...it just means they won't be getting extra punishment for lying on top of the punishment they're receiving for doing whatever it is that got them in trouble in the first place!

Regina: Well, all I'm saying is that we can't be teaching our children honesty is what's best if we too aren't honest. Therefore, by me voicing my opinion I'm being honest and justifying that lesson.

Cady: *shakes her head* You're ridiculous sometimes. Another lesson we teach our children is kindness. So it's counter intuitive to be honest...but also rude.

Regina: We hold our children at very unrealistic standards. Sometimes we can't be both honest and kind!

Cady: Regina Heron-George, there's also a thing called keeping your opinions to yourself! If no one asked, then an opinion does not need to be shared! Especially if it's negative!

Regina: *huffs* That's no fun!

Cady: Sometimes necessity isn't fun. There's another lesson we teach our children. Like when we're battling them on bedtime. Sleep is a necessity even if it's not always fun.

Regina: Since when is sleep actually considered fun?

Cady: When you teach a lecture hall of 50 college students or more who don't want to be there, then come home to grumpy toddlers who are going to fight your authority every step of the way just because they can....sleep is very fun. I can definitely assure you.

Raph: *waddles up to Regina and tugs at her sleeve*

Regina: *looks down quickly* Hi, bud, are you having fun?

Raph: *reaches up wanting to be held*

Regina: *lifts him up and cuddles him on her lap*

Raph: *yawns before snuggling in to get comfy*

Cady: *chuckles* See, even Raph agrees...sleep is very fun.

Ithilien: MOMMA! *stomps up to her mad*

Raph: *jumps at his yelling*

Cady: Woah, woah, what's going on, bud?

Ithilien: *arms crossed* I don't wanna play with Joshie EVER again! He's mean, and he won't let me have a turn on the trampoline!