Chapter 34

Tommy was currently following Karl as they went through the Ghost Realm, trying to stay hidden—they were going through an alleyway right now, heading to where this 'Warden' Karl knows work. 

"Your friend isn't answering. It keeps going to voicemail," Quackity said from the crystal ball that Tommy was carrying. "Uhh guessing by the number that you gave me...the time in your country is late, so maybe he's asleep?"

Tommy hummed, "Probably..." he said.

Quackity raised an eyebrow at the boy's tone, there was sadness...it was faint, but there. "Hey man,  I'm sure they're worried for you," Quackity said. "They probably need rest so that they'll have more energy the next day," he tried to reassure the boy.

"Yeah," Tommy nodded, "Yeah, that's it, right?"

"Yeah!" Quackity cheered, but was hushed by Karl. 

"Hush up," Karl said as he backed away from the alleyway exit, pushing Tommy back lightly, hiding him behind a stack of boxes. 

Tommy peaked lightly and saw a couple of brown hooded figures pass the alleyway. The three let out a sigh of relief. "We should be close," Karl said.

"Where are we even going?" Tommy asked.

"There's this umm I don't really know, I just call it 'office' most of the time," Karl started, "but yeah. There's this office that specializes in helping ghosts get a hang of, well their ghost-y-ness. The people that work were the ones that taught me stuff."

"Wait, if that's their job, why are you looking for a Warden there?" Quackity asked.

"When I say Warden, I mean ex-Warden," Karl said. "When I got my job as Gate Keeper, I go to the office daily to give in reports about the new ghosts that arrived so that they'll be able to keep an eye out for them. One time that I went there, I saw him and yeah apparently he used to work as Warden but quit."

"Good on him," Tommy said with a nod.

"Oh, I see it," Karl said and began speeding up, Tommy following behind him.

Karl knocked on the door. "Come in!" said a voice from the inside. Karl opened the door and let Tommy inside first before following himself.

"Oh, Karl," a guy with green hair greeted. "Isn't it a bit early for your report? Oh, who's this?" He asked when he saw Tommy.

"Sam, meet Tommy," Karl said. "Tommy, this is Sam, he's the ex-Warden that I was talking about."

"'ow do," Tommy greeted.

"Hello," Sam greeted. "You mentioned me being an ex-Warden?" He raised an eyebrow at Karl.

"Yeah," Karl let out an uncertain laugh. "Tommy here is in a predicament. He's another one of that those Reapers dragged over here without dying."

Sam let out a sigh, "I'm glad I quit that post," he said glaring at the ground. "What can I help with?" 

"I have friends who are ghosts that are trying to get here, but can't," Tommy said.

"We were wondering if you still have that map of the Universal Portals that are down at the Human Realm," Karl said.

"Oh, your planning on making them use that instead 'cause you can't let them go through their own portals?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah," Karl nodded. "It's easily detectable by the council and I'd rather not take that chance."

"We're gonna have to go to my place though," Sam said. "I'll go tell the others that I'll be leaving," he said before leaving the room to inform the other ghosts who worked there to keep an eye out for anyone who walks in for an lesson.