Chapter 43

"Easy plan," Tommy started. "We go to where this Universal Portal is, send me home and if that doesn't work, then I'm screwed," he said.

"Why are you saying that so casually?" Ranboo asked from the crystal ball, concern lacing his voice.

"I—I just..." Tommy thought about it. "I have a good feeling about it, alright?"

"I don't think we should all go with you," Puffy said. "It'll attract attention if ever a Reaper comes by."

"I'm alright with staying back," Dream said. "We'll just keep an eye out and contact you guys." He held up his crystal ball that was connected to Phil's.

"Yeah, Puffy and I will help keep watch," Sam said.

After agreeing than only Karl will be going with Techno, Wilbur, Phil and Tommy to lead them to the portal, the rest went back in the base.

"Are you really gonna bring that?" Wilbur questioned his pink haired twin, pointing to the weapon.

Techno glanced at the scythe before shrugging, "Might be handy."

"So, where is this Universal Portal?" Tommy asked.

"Oh, it should be this wa—" Wilbur was about to lead them when Karl spoke up.

"Actually, according to the Portal Log, it's not there anymore," Karl said, reading off of some book.

"What do you mean it's not there?" Techno asked.

"It's uhh," Karl's eyes skimmed through the pages, "on the other side of the Portal Room and up like 400ish floors."

"It moves?!" Everyone other than Karl exclaimed.

"Oh, did I not mention that?" Karl asked.

"No!" Wilbur said.

"Yeah, well, if it stays in one location, ghosts would be able to just slip by, pretending to go to their portals but go towards the UniPort," Karl explained.

Wilbur noddes in understanding, "Alright, fair enough."

"You mean we have to climb stairs?!" Tommy exclaimed.

"Yup," Karl said.

Tommy groaned, "I changed my mind, I'd rather stay here," he joked as he started to walk despite not knowing where the staircase is.

Karl lead them away from his office/base, and towards the stairs. They began climbing when a thought came to Tommy's mind as they passed a floor.

"Wait, a floor is like ten steps?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah," Karl said. "400 floors seem far, but it really isn't."

Tommy groaned, "Everything in this realm is so wonky," he said. "Next thing you're gonna tell me I've been here for a month now."

"Nah, time here passes the same as in the Human Realm, just feels slower 'cause everything's bright," Karl explained.

"Yeah, you've been gone for like two days, we told you this," Wilbur said.

"Mimimimi, we told you this," Tommy mocked before the amount of days actually registered in his mind.

"Oh shit," Tommy said.

Phil raised an eyebrow at the younger, "What's wrong?"

"My parents," Tommy answered. "They said they'd call me after the festival and shit," he said.

"Oh!" Tubbo exclaimed from the crystal ball. "Your parents did try to contact you but called me when you wouldn't answer."

"What did you tell them?" Tommy asked.