Chapter 36

Wilbur awed at the sight. The ballroom, though barren, looked magnificent. The room was huge. It had polished floors, clean mirrors, and a sparkling chandelier. "Niki, this place is amazing!" Wilbur exclaimed.

Niki giggled at the ghost's excitement, "I know! That's what I said when I first saw it."

"This is perfect!" Wilbur laughed. "You can go ahead and change if you want to." 

"You won't disappear if I leave your sweater here right?" Niki asked as she placed the sweater neatly on a chair.

"I don't think so," Wilbur said. "I mean you're not going away that far."

"Alright," Niki said, "I'll be quick!" 

Wilbur waved as the girl walked away. He then began looking around the ball room, smiling at the picture frames that hung high up on the walls. Minutes passed and soon enough, he hears the ball room doors open once again. Wilbur turned around and smiled as Niki entered in a simple yellow dress and accessories.

"I would have worn something fancier, but I didn't really expect to be dancing with a ghost all of the sudden," she laughed.

"You look lovely, Niki," WIlbur said.

"Thank you," Niki curtsied. "We don't really have an orchestra like those in the books that I read, but that's why we have technology." She pulled out her from from her pocket. Yes, her dress had pockets. She ran over to the speakers and connected her phone to it. "Here we go," she said, placing her phone down. 

Ballroom music, something from the 1920s, started playing. Wilbur floated closer to the girl and bowed, "May I have this dance?" He offered his hands to the girl.

"Of course." Niki placed her hand on Wilbur's and was immediately brought into a waltz, Niki's left hand clasped together with Wilbur's right, while her left hand was on Wilbur's shoulder, and Wil's right hand was on Niki's left shoulder blade.

The music echoed while the two moved in a basic box step around the room. Niki let out a small laugh, "You're quite good at this, Wil."

"Well, I didn't read about it for like a solid five months after you told me," Wilbur said. 

"You did what?" Niki asked.

"It's pretty interesting so I don't really mind," Wilbur smiled. "I had fun."

The music playing from Niki's phone changed into something a bit jazzier, "Oh," Wilbur said. "Guess we're picking up the pace!" Wilbur lead them around the room, feet moving in sync, their clasped hands going up and down with the rhythm.

Niki laughed as Wilbur made her twirl around and brought back to another box step. The two continued dancing, with Wilbur leading, which gave Niki an idea. She smirked as she suddenly took lead, she pulled on Wilbur's hand and began dancing the opposite direction. 

"C'mon Wil," Niki laughed. "Give us a twirl!" Wilbur rolled his eyes, but complied. Being taller of the two, Wilbur had to crouch—well he didn't really crouch, he just allowed his lower half to phase through the floor as he spun.

Wilbur floated back up and spun the two of them around before placing his hands on Niki's waist, "Wait, Wil—" Niki cut herself off with a laugh as Wilbur lifter her up from the ground and spun her in the air, when he brought her down, he earned a playful slap on the shoulder from Niki, though he didn't really feel it, 'cause you know, ghost.

The two went on for a couple more rounds around the ballroom, the fourth song ending with the two of them pulling close to each other. They were up for another song, but instead of music, a loud beeping noise came from the speaker, making the two laugh. "Well, I guess you're phone decided that that was enough dancing," Wilbur said as Niki walked over to her cellphone.