Chapter 3: First prank

Hi guys! I've been trying really hard not to skip around the first couple years and so far it's working! I hope you guys are enjoying!

I am very new to writing on here so I don't know if you guys can comment on the paragraphs like you can in other stories so if you can please comment here so I know! And if you don't then I'll know I have to figure out how to do it because I would love your guys input!

Enjoy!

The Gryffindor common room was warm and bright. The fire place on the wall beside the entrance casted the mostly filled room in a soft orange glow. Red couches and arm chairs, brown side tables and desks with chairs neatly tucked into them scattered the room.

It was now after the feast and curfew was coming soon. The two tried to sneak away after dinner but were told by the prefects to "Talk later. We are showing you to your common rooms and dorms now." 

Everly left her dorm after a quick hello to her dorm mates and left the common room. She had promised Regulus she would meet him at the suit of armor by the stairs leading to the courtyard but when she reached it he was no where to be found. Ducking out of sight behind it, Eve waited until-
"Boo!"
"AAA GODRIC!" Regulus screamed.
"You know, if someone jumps out at you the first thing you should do is pull your wand. Not scream like a little baby." Everly said crossing her arms with a smirk.
"You know what Potter?"
"Oohhh last name, bringing the sass are we Black?" Reg shoved her arm lightly but smiled. "Come on we don't have that long, I don't want to get caught past curfew on the first night."

Reg started walking down the hall Eve by his side. They were quiet for a little, walking side by side throughout the castle like they'd been doing it their whole life. A few paintings said hello, others scowled at the sight of a Slytherin walking with a Gryffindor. Everly didn't pay attention to them, but she could tell Reg was bothered.

"Hey, I've been trying to think of the first prank I should pull here, want to help me?" She looked over at him, hoping her talking would take his mind off of the rude remarks of old wizards in paintings. He was looking forward at the hall in front of them expressionless but the side of his mouth twitched upward, an almost smirk. "Trying to get out of your brother's shadows by out pranking him on the first day?"
"Well of course."
"Why can't we do something like excel greatly in our studies to get out of their shadows? You know, something that won't get us detention." Everly stopped walking, his tone was serious, but a little playful. Something that said just a little push might get him him agree.

"Come on please." She put her hands know his shoulders and shook him making him laugh. "Pleaseee for mee??"
"Ok! Ok fine!" He agreed, and then, "What did you have in mind?"

Brainstorming prank ideas took a little longer than both had thought. By the end they had an idea but it needed thorough research they couldn't do past curfew without the risk of detention. They bid their goodbyes at the portrait of the Fat Lady with a promise to go to the library after lessons tomorrow. "For homework first." He had said, but Everly only laughed which told him homework would be done at the last minute once the prank research was complete.

First days lessons were good. Potions one of the only classes they had together, had been Regulus's favorite. As some sort of fate the two had ended up as partners. Regulus thought that if they weren't already friends, they would have become friends when Everly blew up the cauldron of the group in front of them. Surprisingly she did not get caught though. "Ah it's alright, it's alright. Might have added a bit to many Baneberries. Not to worry, they only stain for a day or two." Professor Slughorn said. The students were not very happy, leaving the classroom with red stained faces.

Everly couldn't stop laughing on the way to the library, it's a miracle the two got any work done at all. But after 2 hours of research and 1 hour of homework. The prank was complete as was their homework. To be completed it required 2 incantations, one for each plus a sealing spell. They waited until most of the great hall was full and no one was paying any mind to the two first years standing in the doorway.
"Ready?"
"As I'll ever be."
"Oh come on that's not the spirit. Let's do this." Everly held out her fist. Something she had only done with her brother and his friends. Reg smiled thinking about it and bumped her fist before turning to look towards the ceiling of the great hall.

The magical ceiling was raining to match outside, perfect for their plan. Everly grabbed his hand, a nervous gesture for both, before pointing her wand at the ceiling and muttering the barrier breaking incantation.

Everyone in the great hall looked up with shocked gasps, the rain now falling on their heads. Regulus quickly casted the cooling spell turning the rain into snow. Everly finished it off with a sealing spell making it so no one could stop it without extreme measures.

"We did it!" Eve jumped up and down excitedly before pulling Reg into a hug. Surprised he froze for a second before hugging her back.
"Come on," she said pulling back, "We have to go sit before people get suspicious."
"Ok, I'll see you later Eve. Good job." Regulus said with a smile before turning and slightly jogging to his table, Everly doing the same.

Walking to her table was nothing less than chaos, the snow now at least 2 inches on the ground, tables, benches, and students. Eve wiped off the bench between her brother and Lily before sitting down. The boys mostly seemed unphased if not a little jealous that someone came up with such a thing, "Honestly James I can't believe we didn't come up with this." She heard Sirius pout. "And on the second night guys we are so behind." Peter whined back.
"You guys are so immature." Mary said covering her hair with a book, "Honestly this is so annoying." Everly couldn't help but chuckle a little which turned out to be a mistake.

"Hey when did you get here?!" James turned looking baffled at his sister that seemed to have appeared out of no where. "I've been here the whole time James honestly you are so oblivious." Everly smiled up at him before turning back to her plate covered in snow. A bird flew into her hands and she recognized the spirily handwriting.

We didn't think this through, my carrots are cold. Everly laughed to herself before writing back But look at the teachers and other students panicking, totally worth it. My brother and his friends don't count, they won't panic for a little snow, just the thought of someone outpranking them.

The paper note flew back to him and he shook off the snow before reading it and laughing, receiving a few weird looks from the panicked Slytherins. He looked back to Everly, smiled and winked before eating a carrot covered in snow.