Chapter 29: Ignoring the inevitable

i tried to make this chapter a little happier than the last but i was crying while writing the last half of it so my bad (not cause of the chapter itself just other things)

it's like kinda short but kinda not and there's def no plot but i promise the next chapter will be better and not come out like a month from now

10 minutes before the train leaves the station.

10 minutes before the Hogwarts express takes the students back to the castle for the rest of the year.

Everly is sitting in a compartment alone. Her knee is bouncing up and down and her eyes haven't left the window.

Dear Darling (and her brother),
I am fine. Not hurt, she won't do anything to me now that Sirius left. I hope he is okay. Do not write again, she will notice.
From,
R.A.B

5 minutes before the train leaves the station.

The letter Regulus wrote back repeating in her mind over and over again.

The girls offered to sit with her but she declined. She hasn't spoken to Sirius since he arrived at the Potters, but James offered to sit with her too, the rest of the boys agreeing she shouldn't be alone. She declined their offer as well.

2 minutes before the train leaves the station.

She's pacing the compartment now. Running her hands through her hair over and over, walking the same three feet back and forth.

1 minute before the train leaves the station she turns to walk her path toward the door but instead she runs into someone.

He lets out a huff. "Hello darling. A little anxious are we?" Regulus smiles down at her. He must have grown again in the three weeks they had been apart.

"Where have you been?!" She pushed him back against the door of the compartment. "No detail in your letter!" She put a finger in the middle of his chest. "And you cut it this close to board the train?" She was hitting his arm now. " You could have been dead and I wouldn' have known! And why are you wearing such a nice suit? Do you know how hard it is to be mad at you when you look like that?"

She went to hit his chest but he grabbed both of her hands to stop her. "Will you stop?" He let go of one hand to wipe the tear rolling down her cheek. "Everly just breathe." He hugged her close and moved to sit down, bringing her on his lap. "Everything is fine, just breathe for a minute."
"I'm getting tears on your expensive suit."
"It's fine I don't even like it that much."
She lifted her head up off of his chest after a couple minutes of silence had passed between them and held his cheek in one hand bringing their lips together in a kiss. "What happened, lovey?"

"I think Sirius reached his breaking point. I came downstairs when I heard them shouting at each other. In English and in French. It was hard to follow at first but then she started to say terrible things about Remus's family and-" He paused to take a shaky breath in, "And your family. I was about to say something but Sirius was already yelling and she- she was so mad. I don't think I've ever seen her this mad." His hands were shaky as he went on and Everly could tell he was trying not to cry.

"I-I wanted to stop it. I wanted to stop her, and stop him from leaving but I couldn't- I couldn't move. I don't think he heard me when I told him not to go. He just- he looked at me before saying 'Potters manor' and disappearing into the fireplace. I didn't know what to do when she turned and looked at me standing on the stairs. She just scoffed at me and said, 'Héritier de la famille Black mon cul. J'aurais dû renier ce garçon impur quand j'en ai eu l'occasion.' "
"What does that mean?"
"Heir to the Black family my arse. I should have disowned that impure boy when I had the chance. That's basically what she said."
"Oh Reggie." She hugged him tight. "I'm so so sorry my love. What-," She was afraid to ask but she had to know, "What will happen now?"
"I-I don't know." He sighed and laid his head back on the compartment wall. "She said she wasn't bringing me home for the spring break. So I don't think I- we, have to worry about what will happen next for a while."

"Will you let me bring you home for the break?" Everly asked.
"I don't know. I don't know what will happen the next time I see Sirius. He probably hates me. I probably shouldn't."
"I haven't talked to him since the night he showed up in our fireplace."
"Why?"
"I sort of lost it that night."
"Yeah I know. My necklace wouldn't stop glowing red and blue. I figured you were freaking out."

"My necklace was red. It hasn't stopped glowing red until 10 minutes ago." She paused to take a breath before retelling the story of that night. "I-I had a panic attack. I yelled at him too and then tried going to the Black manor. I would have gone if Marlene didn't block the door and threaten to tackle me."

"You yelled at him?"
"Wasn't my best moment. But he hasn't tried to talk to me since so I haven't tried either."
"Do you know how he's doing?"
"Better I think. He got better when Remus got there and then he had all of his friends and his girlfriend around him. He's still getting nightmares but at this point who in that house isn't getting nightmares."

"That shouldn't be a normal thing Eve."
"I know but, what can you do when a war is starting?"
"I don't know." He looked at her and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "Ignore the inevitable for just a little longer?"
"Ok lovey." She pressed their lips together and tried to forget everything they had talked about just for a little longer.

The welcome back feast was awkward to say the least.

Mary and Sirius were all over each other like they didn't spend the last week together. Remus said a whole two words and spent the entire dinner with a scowl on his face. James kept trying to get the girls to talk to him which failed miserably because none of them have talked to the boys since Everly stopped except for Mary. And Marlene and Dorcas seemed to be sitting a little closer to each other than normal but the only two who noticed were Everly and Remus.

Regulus and Everly spent almost the entire night in the arch causing Everly to fall asleep in almost every class, especially since she didn't get any sleep over break either.

"Ms. Potter!" It was Mcgonagall.

Regulus nudged her shoulder so she would wake up. Everly lifted her head up off the desk and looked at her.

"Since you have decided to treat my class as nap time I presume you have already mastered the ability to transfigure a broom into a desk?"
Everly used all her energy to put on a charming smile. "Oh of course I have Minnie." A couple students laughed at her response, only provoking Mcgonagall more.

"You and Mr. Potter and his little gang of misfits should really learn how to address your professors. Come up and turn this broom into a desk Ms. Potter. I don't want to see any bristles on the end or any broom polish grease on the drawers."

"Only the best for you Professor." Everly walked up to the front (if you had asked Regulus he would have said she strutted up to the front). Someone in the back shouted "Yeah Ms. Potter!" and Everly just laughed and winked before saying the incantation and turning the broom into a beautiful writing desk.

"Now you have two beautiful desks Minnie." She swiped her hand across the top of it. "And look, no broom polish." She smiled before making her way to sit back down.
"A wonderful demonstration Everly. But if I catch you sleeping in my class again I'll give you detention."

"Still haven't been sleeping?" Paisley questioned after class.
"No she didn't sleep at all she spent most of the night planning different pranks." Regulus responded before Everly could.
"Oh would you give it a rest you two? I'll sleep when I want to."

"Yes but I would prefer you sleep in your bed and not in my class Ms. Potter." Minnie said from behind them. "And Ms. Harris, I would greatly appreciate it if you could make sure she gets to her bed tonight. Not that I don't think Mr. Black couldn't, I just think you are a little less likely to fall for her charms than he is." And with that she walked away leaving Everly and Paisley dying laughing and Regulus awestruck.

"That is so not funny you two would you quit laughing!" Regulus said looking at Paisley and Everly practically rolling around on the floor.
"Oh fucking Merlin lovey. That was in fact quite funny." Everly said, holding his shoulder so she wouldn't fall over.

"I agree." Paisley said, holding a finger up and then bending over to catch her breath. "My God I don't think I'm going to be able to walk up all those stairs to Divination right now."

"I hate you both." Regulus said with a sigh.