Chapter 8: Hello again

Everly new about wolfstar even before wolfstar new about wolfstar and I stand by that.

Thank you for coming to my Tedtalk

Regulus and Sirius were late. The train was leaving in 2 minutes, the platform was filled with parents waving at there kids and throwing forgotten items on the train. None of the parents were Wallpurga or Orion Black.

1 minute until the train was leaving both boys showed up throwing the compartment door open. Sirius collapsed next to James but Regulus stayed standing in the door. Both had the same emotionless eyes they often came back to school with after spending an entire summer at home, Sirius's fading a little at the sight of all his friends now frantically asking questions.

Everly suddenly felt out of place as all the boys crowded around Sirius. She could tell Reg did to so she stood bidding a goodbye to James and dragged Reg by the hand down the isle of the train to find an empty compartment.

They sat in silence for 30 minutes. Regulus never looked up, just kept his eyes down at his hands in his lap. The ring she gave him for Christmas still on. (She never wrote him about it but the poster in the book he gave her for Christmas was on her ceiling at home where she could look at it every night.) He was always on the quiet side, Everly always having to poke him to talk or say the witty things he thought outloud. But this silence somehow felt different.

"Shit summer?" Everly finally asked.
"Yeah." His short response made her wince slightly. His monotone answer brought her back to the worrying of the summer when his letters got short and emotionless.

"You want to talk about it?"
"Not much to talk about really." He pondered a little but went on. "Sirius got locked in his room halfway through summer and wasn't allowed out. Mother kept using him as an example of what not to do. 'Don't be like Sirius' she would say and 'Il n'est pas un pur' " The French rolled off his tongue beautifully but the way he winced at the words made Eve think it was something horrible.

"I hate that she uses him as an example of what she wants me not to do. It's her fault he lashes out. He's not a horrible person."
"He's not Reg." Eve said moving to sit next to him instead of across from him. "I'm not really sure what your mother said about him because it was in French but you don't have to believe what she says. You know him when he's with his friends and when he's at Hogwarts, away from her. That's the true Sirius."

"Wow." Regulus looked up finally and turned to her. "Do you have a list of speeches in your pocket or something?"
"Shut up I'm trying to help you." Eve shoved his shoulder and moved back to sit across from him running her fingers through her hair while she did.
"I love your speeches. They always help"
"Thank you. I try."
"Missed you."
"I missed you more."

The sorting ceremony was very boring when you weren't apart of it or you didn't know someone apart of it. Everly spent most of it catching up with Lily and the girls who she hadn't seen all summer.

Per tradition, Dumbledore gave a very confusing speech before the feast began, and when it did the boys spent the whole time trying to decipher what his speech meant while the girls laughed at how many ridiculous meanings they came up with.

Remus seemed to be supporting a new scar across his face starting under his right eye and going across his nose to his left cheekbone. No one seemed to be asking about it which was good. Eve never asked about his scars but she had a few ideas. She loved that her brother and the rest of Remus's friends always stood up for him if anyone did mention anything. Everly always did the same if someone in her year said something.

"Rem!" Everly was walking back to her common room along with everyone else but she wanted to talk to Remus alone first.
"What's up Evie?" He turned away from the boys and started walking with her, a little slowly so she could keep up.

"I'm sorry about your new scar Rem."
"Oh its alright Eve, nothing you did." He shrugged.
"I know a spell that can fade it if you'd like. I used it last year when I accidentally set of a firework towards my neck." She moved her collar and tie down from her neck and waved her wand. A white scar appeared going down one side of her neck all the way to her collar bone. Remus smiled as she covered it up again.

"I knew it was you who put the fireworks in the 4th floor bathrooms."
"Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies Mr. Lupin." Eve smiled back.
"Of course Ms. Potter."
"But really Rem. If you want the spell I can teach you."
"It's alright Eve. I'm not the biggest fan of it but Sirius said it made me look 'badass' and I think he'll kill me if I hide it." He blushed.

"Right." Everly said slowly looking at him, "He's not wrong you know, but I think you care about his opinion far more than you care about mine."
"What are you trying to get at Eve?" The blush was gone, a slight panic replaced it.
"Nothing Remus." They had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady at that point. "I've got to go meet Reg. I'll see you later Rem." Everly winked then left leaving him starstruck at the portrait.

Everly and Regulus talked in the archway for hours, his emotionless eyes now filled with light and friendliness. The castle and the sky were dark, the only light being the half moon and the stars. They'd done this many nights of last year without any problems but of course their no detention streak had to come to an end at some point.

Regulus was walking Everly back to the Gryffindor common tower when professor McGonagall walked out of her office.

"Ms. Potter. Mr Black. What are you doing wandering about this late?" Before Regulus had the chance to apologize Everly was speaking. "I could ask you the same thing Minnie. Honestly working this late? It can't be good for your sleep schedule." Eve flashed a charming grin at McGonagall who was trying very hard not to smile at her comment.

"While I appreciate your concern for my sleep schedule Ms. Potter, you are the students here. That's detention for you both. I will see you after school tomorrow in my classroom. Mr. Black do I need to escort you back to your common room myself or can you find your way on your own?"
"I can take him." Everly tried to take his arm and walk away but McGonagall knew better and stopped them.

"No Ms. Potter. You will be going back to your common room as well. I'm sure you two can find your way on your own. Am I correct?"
"Yes professor." They chorused.

What a great way to start 2nd year.