Chapter 34: He's a scumbag don't you know?

you ask you receive! working on the next chapter now :)

As Regulus had predicted, he was barely able to send letters over the summer. With Sirius taking up a permanent residence at the Potters, the Blacks were keeping a very close eye on their next heir.

In the letters he was able to send, his summer sounded dreadful. He was either stuck up in his room alone, or he was forced to join the meetings where 50 plus people were sitting around their dining table talking about the Dark Lord's plans. Thankfully none of these meetings were attended by the Dark Lord himself, but he was scared every time that he would be there.

When there was only a couple of weeks left in summer, the Hogwarts letters were sent out listing all of the things they would need for the next year and letting all of the students who made prefects and head boy and girl know.

Everly made prefect. And Lily and Remus were prefects together again.

Her parents were ecstatic.

And in the last letter Regulus was able to send before summer ended said that he had made prefect as well.

Regulus and Everly spotted each other on the platform before they boarded the train back to Hogwarts for the beginning of fifth year. They locked eyes for 10 seconds however, Everly didn't make a move to talk to him because his mother had a hand wrapped around the back of his neck, walking him towards the train. She seemed to be whispering things to him in French. 

Everly practically ran on the train after him when she had said goodbye to her mum. She found him in the first empty compartment and almost tackled him to the ground.

"Holy shit." She looked up at him. "Did you get taller again?" Her cheeks were bright red.
"Um," He ran his hands through his hair, which was a little shorter than normal for him, "I might have?" His voice was a little deeper too.

He looked down at her, his eyes immediately softening. "God I missed you."

They hugged for what felt like forever, and then kissed for even longer before there was a knock at the door to their compartment.

"Can you guys stop making me want to throw up and come to the prefects cabin before we're late?" Lily said standing in the hallway next to Remus who was standing next to her, also looking taller, and laughing.
"Yes Lils." Everly stood up and opened the door, hugging Lily and then Remus. Regulus, to her surprise, did the same thing.
"Aw look at you, Eve turned you into a hugger." Lily leaned into him. "Now come on, we don't want to be late."

The prefects cabin was different from the rest of the train. It was one long compartment that had a table almost as long down the center with comfy chairs all around. When they got there, most of the prefects were there standing around and talking in groups waiting for a couple more people including head boy and girl.

Everly's face fell almost immediately when she looked around the room. The first person she saw was Snape, the second person she saw was the other Gryffindor fifth year prefect.

Brayden Marsh.

Everly had only talked to him a couple times but there has been a rumor since almost second year that he was in love with her.

"I can't believe he is the other Gryffindor prefect." Regulus said. He was staring right at him with a look that would kill if Brayden was actually looking back. Regulus immediately moved his hand from where it was holding Everlys to wrapping his arm around her shoulders so it was super noticeable. Everly just grabbed his hand that was on her shoulder.

5 minutes later head boy and girl walked in and told everyone to grab a seat.

"Shouldn't we sit with our prefect partners?" Brayden asked loudly. "I mean that would be the best for all of us wouldn't it?" He looked at the head boy and girl who were already sitting at the end of the table.
"It doesn't matter where you sit, just find a seat." Connor, head boy from Ravenclaw, looked at him with an unimpressed look on his face.
Regulus chuckled beside Everly before pulling out her chair for her and sitting next to her. Lily was on her other side and Remus was sat next to Lily. Brayden ended up on the other side of the table stuck between Snape and one of the Hufflepuff prefects.