Chapter 10: The quidditch promise

Kinda short chapter sorry guys. I also lowkey kinda hate it so I might rewrite it at some point.

I'm really excited for the things I have planned for third year so I might just skip to that I haven't decided yet.

Enjoy! Also feel free to message me here or my tik tok @ mcdaddy.issues if you have any suggestions

It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday
Regular croud shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next to me
Makin love to his tonic and gin-"

Classes were canceled for the day at breakfast. No one could figure out how to make the portraits and knights stop singing Piano Man by Billy Joel. As soon as the song ended they just started from the top again.
"I'm so over this bloody song!" James shouted covering his ears at breakfast.

"Then you shouldn't have made me listen to it everyday over summer." Everly said back. Calmly eating her breakfast as though she couldn't hear the song.
"You!" Sirius pointed at her. "You did this!"
"Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies Black." Was all she said back.

She had in fact done this. Instead of stressing over today's quidditch tryouts last night, she charmed every painting and knight to sing as soon as the sun rose. It was quite simple really, only one incantation. The hard part was getting the portraits to agree. Most were easy, all she had to do was ask and they agreed, wanting to help cause mischief around the castle. Others were harder to persuade like the mermaid on the 5th floor. She only agreed after Everly promised to move her to the 2nd floor next to the portrait of some prince.

Halfway through breakfast McGonagall appeared at their table.
"Do any of you happen to know who did this?"
All of them shook their heads and said no.
"Well then. If you hear anything I expect to be the first to know." She turned on her heals and walked out of the great hall.
"Wow I can't believe you guys didn't sell me out."
"I totally would have but Remus would have killed me." James shoved Remus's shoulder.
"You're right. I totally would have."
"And besides." James continued, "Because of Eve's genius prank, we can get an extra practice in before tryouts today."

"As long as we are done by lunch. We will not do another all day practice."
"Oh merlin I'm tired." Everly collapsed on Regulus who was sitting in the archway. It was after her practice with James and lunch with the girls. They had planned on meeting up for a little before both had quidditch tryouts.

"Get off me." Regulus shoved Eve off him and pushed her to the other wall of the archway.
"Come on Reg where's your compassion? I just practiced for like 3 hours I'm beat."
"To beat to tryout later?" He raised an eyebrow at her.
"Never."
"Are the portraits ever going to stop singing? Honestly we might need to find a new place to sit I can't handle this song anymore."
"They'll stop eventually." Eve said, winking at him. He ignored it and changed the subject.
"How are you feeling about tryouts?"
Eve sighed crossing her legs and leaning more on the wall her back was on.

"Fine really, I don't know why James wanted to practice extra. How are you feeling? You won't stop playing with your ring." Reg's fingers froze from where he was playing with his ring. She always noticed everything.
"Alright I think. I mean there's a ton of spots open so I think I could make it but you never know." He resumed playing with his ring.
"I know."
"What?"
"I know." She said again. "I know you'll make it."

"We don't know that Eve."
"Oh come on Regulus stop being so negative." She pushed his leg with her foot.
"I'm not being negative I'm just being real." He said, pushing her back with his foot.
"Yeah, real negative." She snapped.
"Merlins beard. We are not fighting about this Everly. Some people just can't think as positively as you do about everything." He sighed.
"That's why I'm here to help you think positively. Come on, we should get going."

7 people showed up to the Gryffindor quidditch team tryouts. The 7 people who were on the team last year. Alex was pissed, everyone else was trying not to die of laughter.

"Honestly Alex, did you really think you could separate the dream team?" Gideon questioned.
"Yeah Alex I'm kind of offended you wanted to replace everyone." Fabian pulled a look of mock offense.

"I'm not trying to replace you guys honestly. Wipe that look off your face Fab." Alex moved to slap Fabian but he ducked laughing.
"I don't know Alex, you might have to replace Jamie, he's gotten a little slow." Eve said before taking cover behind Gideon.

"You take that back Everly." James said pointing a motherly finger at her.
"Never. I could take you down in seconds."
"I'd like to see you try."
"Look it's Lily!" Everly shouted pointing behind James.
"Where?!" He turned. Everly took the opportunity to jump on his back. Tackling him to the ground.

"Tap out sucker!"
"Never!" James rolled on top of Everly who pushed him back over. The team was now shouting, a mix of 'get him Eve' and 'yea james'. Everly had James pined on his stomach, arms above his head in less than 10 seconds.
"Alright, alright. I'm tapping out." He tapped his right hand three times on the grass.
"Ha!"
"I hate you."
"You love me, really."

Apparently, the whole Gryffindor house had been in on the tryout boycott. Everyone wanted to win so no one wanted to disband the 'dream team' as they called it. The team, after separating Everly and James, ran some drills instead of the tryouts clearing the field as the Slytherin tryouts were starting. Everly was able to give Regulus a secret hand squeeze of good luck before catching up with her team.

Everly was the first to know, besides all of Slytherin house, that Regulus made the team. The list was posted the day after tryouts. The new Seeker. After a round of I told you so's Everly practically jumped on him into a hug. Their first game was to take place this weekend, against eachother.

"What are we going to do?" Regulus asked.
"I don't know."
They were laying in the grass a few yards over from the whomping willow as to not get hit.

"How are we going to play against eachother without it coming between us. I don't want to fight when one of us looses a game." He kept his eyes on the clouds as Everly sat up next to him. "Then we make a promise not to."
"What?"
"Come on sit up." Eve grabbed his hand pulling him into a seated position next to her.
"We will pinky promise not to let quidditch come between our friendship." Eve held out her pinky.
"What is a pinky promise?" He asked giving her a confused look.

"You've never made a pinky promise?"
"No."
"Oh." She said putting her hand back down in her lap. "Well it's simple really. We just say what we want to promise while we link pinkies like this." She grabbed his hand and linked their pinkies together. "See, simple."
"Oh, um. Ok yeah, let's do it." His felt his cheeks go hot as he stuttered.

"Ok. I pinky promise not to let quidditch ruin our friendship. Now you."
"I pinky promise not to leg quidditch ruin our friendship." He repeated.
"Now we can never break that promise."