Chapter 21: Everly's new look

hello all. i am sick so i had time to write another chapter.

this chapter is partly sponsored by the fact that i want to cut my own bangs again

buckle your pants guys cause shits about to get real after this chapter  ;)

4th year finally starting after a dreaded summer. Looking down on it from an outside perspective, Everly had an amazing summer. Hanging out with her friends everyday, and even her brothers friends were nice to hang out with for a while before they went back to being boys. But in reality, nothing about it was fun. Everything and everyone was stressed about the war that was starting.

All Everly wanted was to be back at Hogwarts. Not because she didn't like being home with her parents. But because that was where she knew Regulus was safe. Safe from his parents and safe with her watching the stars or studying or planning pranks.

Yeah, you could say she missed him.

He was almost late. Two minutes before the train left the station Regulus appeared in the doorway.
"Reggie!" Everly squealed and got up to hugged him but she stopped. He had grown three inches over summer. It doesn't sound like a lot but having to look up at him was certainly a change.

"Reggie." She took a step back.
"Hi darling." He smiled. "I don't get a hug?"
"Oh." Everly smiled and looked down. "Anything for you." Her shy smile had returned to her cocky one, though it didn't hide her blush from Regulus.

Regulus put his suitcase above her seat before he sat down.
"Your last letter worried me." He said.
"Yeah because your letters were so much better."
"Everly."
"Listen Regulus. Can we not go into detail about our shit summers. I hate that you go back to that house every break and I hate that my parents can't stop worrying about the war so can we please just drop it."
"Everly please don't yell at me." Regulus said.
"I'm not trying to yell Reggie." She ran both of her hands through her hair. "I'm just so tired." She let her head fall back against the wall of the cabin.

Regulus stood up from his seat across from her and sat down down next to her. He took her head and leaned it on his shoulder, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I know. Me too."

They both slept the whole train ride there, the best sleep either of them have gotten in two months.

The sorting ceremony got more boring each year. Everly took Paisleys camera and took a picture of James asleep and drooling before the feast appeared and Sirius threw a potato at him to wake him up.

A paper bird hit Everly in the face halfway through dinner. Mary and Marlene saw and started laughing.
"Oh would you quit it you two." Evie said while opening the paper.
"If you get hit in the face with something I am going to laugh, that's how it works." Mary said. Marlene just continued to laugh.

Meet me at the arch? 10pm the paper read.
She sent one back, Don't be late

Two hours before Everly was supposed to meet Regulus she was brushing her hair in the mirror.
"I want to change something." She said.
All of the girls turned to look at her.

"Change something like what?" Lily asked.
"Big change or little change?" Marlene asked coming into the bathroom and standing behind Everly.
"What Ms. Delinquent means is," Mary appeared in the door, "Hair cut or piercing?"
"Both would be very irresponsible in our form bathroom." Lily countered. "Stop giving her ideas."

"Haircut." Everly said. "Right now."
Marlene squealed. "AAA hand me the scissors someone."
Mary handed her the scissors. "How short are we thinking babe?"
"Everly do you really think it's a good idea for Marlene to cut your hair?" Lily questioned.
"Oh Lily get off me I cut my own hair two years ago in this very bathroom and it looked wonderful."

"Listen to the lady Lily." Paisley chimed in from where she was sitting in the bathtub. "Marlene's hair looked amazing and Everly's is going to also."

"Let's get going guys! I have somewhere to be in two hours." Everly said, sitting on the stool she had grabbed from beside her desk.
"Alright let's do this."

One hour later Everly's hair went from being passed her hip bones to right above her shoulders.
"Holy fucking Merlin."
"Please don't tell me I gave you this haircut because you were trying to fuck Merlin."
"No Marlene! I-"
"Your lost for words." Lily said. "Is that a good thing?"
"Yes!" Everly screamed. "I love it so much holy Merlin."
"Yay!" Marlene hugged Everly after throwing the scissors down on the counter.

"I feel like it should be curled." Paisley said getting out of the tub. Let me grab my curling iron.

Everly got to the arch a little earlier than she was supposed to. She couldn't stop running her hands through her new hair. Paisley had used her muggle curling iron to put light ringlets in it. Something she called "beach waves".

"Woah."
Everly turned around, Regulus was standing a few feet away.
"Your hair." was all he said.

"Do you like it?" She was suddenly nervous. She looked away and ran her hands through it again, but Reggie's hand caught her wrist.
"Stop. You'll mess up the curls." He said, smiling.

"It looks great. It fits you more than your long hair."
Everly smiled and played with the ring on his hand. "Thank you."