Chapter 7: Late night escapes

Olivia Pov

We seemed to agree that we liked each other's company when trying to sleep. It was like a late-night escape, we'd still have arguments in school but as soon as one of us texted about not being able to sleep we forgot about the things from that day and just chatted until we could sleep. We spoke about everything from what our favourite biscuit was to Luke's parent's divorce which was currently ongoing.

We don't talk about the reasons we can't sleep, we both know not to ask because we won't answer and it will ruin our mood for the rest of the night.

This had been going on for the past month, we would text each other and Luke would climb up to my window. Nobody knew we did this, not even Mikey or Claire, we thought that they'd think we're dating but that's definitely not what is happening, it's very much, friends comforting friends... right? Part of me thinks we've gotten so used to it that we now don't know how to sleep alone.

******

It was a tough Friday, I didn't enjoy any of it. The usual things happened, seeing Sam in the hallway, overhearing people whispering about me, the causal argument with Luke. By this point it was all normal, I had accepted it. I laid on my bed thinking about the events of today.

We have P.E, usually, I have an excuse to skip it but this week the teacher Mr Jennings decided that my sick note, that said something about me having a cold wasn't real, they were right but wasn't about to tell him this. I tend not to like P.E at school, we have to wear shorts that always ride up and a polo shirt, I always feel like people stare at me. It's not like I don't exercise. I love going running just not with pervy boys staring at me.

Anyway, I didn't bring my uniform so I had to find some sports kit in the lost and found. I ended up wearing an oversized top that was like a dress and then shorts that kept riding up every time I took a step. We were playing lacrosse today against the boys. Did I mention I suck at this sort of thing? People don't like playing sports with me because I can't ever catch and I always throw it the wrong way.

So, I was in this horrible PE kit trying to just keep out of the way of the ball. The boys were winning but I didn't really care. I just wanted it to be over. "Ortega catch!" I hear it catches me off guard and I see a ball flying towards me. I run backwards attempting to catch it but I trip, falling back and the ball lands on my wrist with a thud.

"Ahhhh," I cry out in pain. I clutch my wrist as it throbs, Mr Jennings runs over.

"Miss Ortega, are you ok?" Is this guy crazy? I just fell and a lacrosse ball landed on my wrist and he thinks he needs to ask if I'm ok?

I shake my head "no, I think my wrist is broken or something..." I say, frustrated with him. This whole thing wouldn't have happened if I could have sat the lesson out in the library with my book, far away from the lacrosse pitch.

"Don't be silly, just go to the nurse, you'll be fine," he said without even looking, "um, take Claire with you or something," he said walking back to the middle of the field.

So after that, I ended up going to the hospital and got an x-ray and all that shit and now I have a wrist brace on for a fracture in my wrist and a whole bunch of painkillers. It was like 8 pm and I had ordered pizza since Mikey and our parents ate while I was at the hospital.

I hear my phone go off and grab it from my pocket 'hey, I heard what happened, hope you're ok - dickhead' I chuckle seeing his text and quickly reply.

'Yeah I have a bone fracture on my wrist so I have a wrist brace but I have lots of pain meds so I'm chill atm. I ordered pizza if you wanna come over - bitchface' I quickly sent and sat up looking through insta.