Chapter 46: I Hate This

Olivia pov

There are a lot of things I hate.

Halloween

Surprises

My birthday

Waiting to hear about grades....

Just to name a few. So when I hear that my grandparents are trying to through a surprise party for me, I really don't want to go.

You may be thinking, why do you hate your birthday? It's complicated but is to do with my mum. She wrote a bunch of letters before she died, one for each birthday until I'm 21, they always make me just wanna stay in bed for the whole day with a cheesy chick flick on. Of course similar to what I'm like on Halloween, nobody gets why I don't like it I just don't tell them. I say I'm ill or I have a headache or something similar. Which I usually do because of the letter. The only people who know about it are dad and Michael because they see me every year it has happened. It got to the point where sometimes dad will give me the letter the day after in an attempt to cheer me up.

Luke slipped up about the party, he knows what I'm like with surprises so wanted me to be prepared for it.

He said that they were gonna take us out for dinner and rent out a fancy restaurant for it. We made a plan so we could leave after an hour saying I had a headache and Luke and I could just chill at home for the rest of the day.

My grandma had gone shopping with me to get a dress with the excuse of her wanting to get me something I liked for my birthday and something that wasn't black, we ended up with a red dress that went above my knee it was strapless and out my comfort zone but grandma loved it so I had to.

I'm looking in the mirror after claire had done my hair, she and Michael were coming with us to the 'dinner' as well. "I hate this..." I grumble pulling the dress up again.

"You look great stop faffing...." Claire chuckles as she fixed the front of her blue dress.

"I still hate it..." I say leaning on the wall.

Michael pokes his head in, "you girls nearly ready? You look great..." he says his eyes hovering on Claire.

We both nodded I grab my phone off the side table and we go downstairs, it feels like something similar to prom with all the photos my grandparents insisted on taking. Luke comes in about 10 minutes after we go downstairs and just stands at the door admiring me for a minute before he gets dragged into the pictures too.

"Now pose with your arms around her from behind," my grandma says as she looks at the two of us snapping a few photos.

"You look stunning love," Luke whispers in my ear as he puts his arms around my waist like we're in an awkward prom picture.

I giggle lightly leaning on him, "I hope you know I hate all of this and it won't happen again..." I whisper back to him.

"Now Olivia put your arms around his neck and act in love," my grandma says taking more photos.

He chuckles as we move into the pose, "yes love, but definitely keep this dress," he smiles holding me closer.

"Fine..." I giggle looking up at him, "you look good too..." I whisper looking at his suit, I recognise it from valentines day.

"And now just side by side with your arm around her waist, Hunny stands up straight," my grandma instructs us and we follow the orders as I turn away from Luke.

"Happy birthday by the way..." Luke chuckles under his breath.

"Did I mention how much I hate this?" I grumble back up at him leaning on him lightly.

"Yes..." he chuckles holding me closer.

My grandma rushes us all out at exactly 6:30 ready for the dinner booked at 7 pm and lean my head on Luke's shoulder, "all I want to do is watch the notebook, in my room, on repeat," I mumble into Luke's shoulder so nobody can hear me.

"I know, give it an hour... it means a lot to your grandparents..." he whispers pack kissing my neck lightly as we whisper.

I just look up at Luke with a grumpy look on my face, "I still hate it... maybe more than normal."

"I know..." he chuckles kissing my head.

We all head into the restaurant and as I expected it's all dark and then after a moment everyone jumps from the darkness and the lights turn on showing a big happy birthday banner. By everyone, I mean everyone, I think my grandma must have invited everyone from our year and the one below. I pretend to be surprised and enjoy seeing everyone but secretly hate everything about tonight.

After a while of being there I lean on Luke's shoulder, "can we leave yet?..." I whisper tiredly.

"It's literally been 30 minutes... at least wait for the food or something?" he chuckles putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Fine..." I grumbled, leaning on him.

"Did I mention that you look beautiful," he chuckles, playing with my hair.

"I feel ridiculous..."

"you look amazing, I feel ridiculous to deserve you..." he chuckles kissing my cheek.

I look up at him, "you're cute sometimes..." I smile slightly learning up to kiss him.

"Olivia! Have you met Carmen?" my grandma says dragging me pff to meet more random people she invited. I hate this.

After the buffet had started I grab some food and go find a quiet corner. I just wanted some alone time and nobody gets it not even my family. I find a quiet corner next to the emergency exit and the kitchens and sit down with my plate of food. I'm there for about 15 minutes before anyone finds me. "Hey..." I hear from the door I snuck through, "what's the birthday girl doing hiding from her own surprise party?" my dad says coming to sit with me.

I smile slightly, "I just couldn't pretend to be ok in front of that many people..." I sigh leaning my head on my dad's shoulder.

"Lukes looking for you..."

"I know... he's great about this stuff but I just wanted to be by myself for a bit..." this was true I sort of avoided telling him where I was going and just disappeared when he was talking to Michael and Calum.

"Wanna talk about it?" my dad says stroking my hair lightly.

I shake my head and stay quiet just wanting to have peace.

"Really?" he says and it reminds me of what Luke does when I'm upset about something.

I sigh and give in wanting to have a rant, "why would she do all this surly she knows I don't want something big and extravagate, its a waste of money and everyone's time, and all I want to do is sit in my bed with ice cream and watch the notebook and read mums letter like 20 times... like I have the past 8 years..." I rant and end up tearing up.

"Want me to get Luke to drive you home? I'll tell your grandma you have a headache..." my dad says calmly rubbing my back comfortingly.

I nodded hugging my knees, "can you get him to bring me some more mac and cheese though?"

My dad chuckles while standing up, "yes sweetie" he chuckles.

A few minutes later Luke pokes his head around the corner with a big box of food, "you ready to leave? I took as much food as I could steal" he smiles at me.

I chuckle and get up whipping the tears off my face, "thank youuu," I smiled kissing his cheek.

He smiles lightly, "that's the first time you've actually smiled genuinely today... I'm glad I'm the one who can make you smile like that," he says kissing me.

I kiss back and take the box of food from him, "your cheesy... you know that right?"

"You love it" he chuckles holding my hand and we sneak out the emergency exit to go to his car.

A/N- let me know what you think, remember if you are enjoying this story to vote, comment and add it to your library. This story is going to come to an end soon but there will be a sequel!