Chapter 44: He's Worse Than You

Olivia POV

We must have got back at 11 ish last night, neither of us wanted to move from the field of flowers. This morning we left early and because we were half asleep I had made coffee for us both to take with us and had just stopped at a service station to get some more, "so, do you wanna call your dad and check where we're meant to meet him?"

"Ugh... do I have to... we could just go somewhere completely different?" he grumbles, hiding his head in the crook of my neck.

"Luke..." I roll my eyes at how much of a baby he is.

"But Fiona is going to be there and she is so annoying..." he mumbles against my neck making me giggle lightly. Fiona is his dad's new girlfriend who is half his age.

"Luke..." I say grabbing his phone from his pocket and handing it to him.

"Are you really sure about this-," he tries to make an excuse but I give him a look, "yes love, let's go sit down and I'll call him," he says before pulling his phone out and pulling me towards a table at the cafe.

I chuckle sitting down with my coffee and watching Luke have a staring contest with his phone, "fucks sake Luke just ring or I'll do it." I say hitting his arm.

"Ok ok I'm doing it," he says bringing up the contact on his phone and then he pauses for too long so I just press the call button for him.

He shoots me a glare as the phone rings and then his dad picks up. "Hey, Luke, what's up? How's that car? Not broken down yet I hope." I heard through the phone.

Luke panics slightly, "Hi dad, yeah the cars good, I'm nearly there and just wanted to check where to meet you..." he says sounding extremely awkward which makes me laugh but I hold it in.

"Sure sounds good, how does Italian sound? there's a new place Fiona wants to try."

"Ugh yeah that's fine, sounds good"

"Yep, i'll book and send you over the address." I had heard that he had a new girlfriend but as far as I knew Luke hadn't met her yet, but he didn't like her already.

"Um sure, book for 4 then? I'm bringing someone up with me, remember," he says, trying to stay calm.

"Oh is it one of the boys from your little band?"

"No actually, I thought I told you I'm bringing my girlfriend, Olivia from next door..." his voice is getting more and more annoyed the more that his dad spoke.

"Ooh, yes that's... interesting." his hand grips my thigh hating what his dad was saying.

"Ok see you soon then..." he doesn't even wait for his dad to say goodbye he just hangs up.

I sigh leaning my head on his shoulder, "that wasn't the worst... but you're right I'm going to hate him. I mean the way he said interesting things like I'm a terrible choice of girlfriend and the way he just invited his girlfriend along before you could even say no." I say, shaking my head at it.

"This is exactly why I didn't want to come, this lunch is going to be a disaster" he grumbles, hiding his face in my hair.

"It'll be ok... I'll be there" I chuckle trying to get him to cheer up.

He chuckles lightly, "I love you but you really bad a comforting me..." he chuckles kissing my cheek before taking a sip of his coffee.

"Love you too" I smile up at him, leaning on him slightly while I drink my coffee.

******

I eventually managed to get Luke to leave the cafe we were in. I had to bribe him with getting take out later but it worked. Now we were sitting at the restaurant awkwardly listening to Fiona go on and on about the new house that Luke's dad bought. I was just waiting for a moment to change to the subject or something. The food finally arrived and I squeeze Luke's hand under the table to check how he was doing. He looks at me and smiles slightly.

"So what did you think of Lukes car? My dad helped him pick it" I say trying to help change the subject but quickly realise it's the wrong thing to say.

His dad starts quizzing him on the car, it's not like when my dad did it either it's more like he's criticizing it. "Ahh yes, it's second-hand, right? I would have helped you get a new one, are you sure it's going to run as smooth? Also, why did you co with a citron? French cars are horrible."

"Well I just wanted one to come and go to get here at the weekends, plus I won't need it when I'm at college," Luke says biting his lip lightly.

"Ahh yes, and have you picked which one you want to go to yet?"

Luke bites his lip again wanting this to be over, "we have finals this month actually, but I've applied to a few different ones, Sydney and Melbourne are the 2 main ones tho. I won't hear back until after finals. Olivia has also applied to some in the UK," luke says before digging into his food so he can't talk.

"Oh really, What if you get in? Will you go?" his dad asks turning to me, I can't tell what he thinks of it because he has such a straight face.

"I have family over there, and my grandparents really want me to go, but I know Sydney and Melbourne have a year abroad that goes to the UK too"

"And would you want to stay just because of Luke?"

Luke nearly chokes on his pasta when he hears, "dad stop..."

His dad turns back to Luke, "well, I wanna know if she got in would she go or stay for you? It's an amazing opportunity"

"To be honest Mr Hemmings, the only reason I would be going is that my family want me to, if I can do that as a year abroad I will but I don't want to spend the whole time over there, and it's not just because of Luke, I have friends and family here too," I say trying to stay calm

"Ok? You two are serious then? once Luke lives here it would be long-distance"

"Dad I wouldn't introduce you to her if it wasn't plus I told you I'm not moving. I can come to you at the weekends but I need to be there for school.

"You sure it's school and not other reasons?"

"Dad!" Luke says, getting annoyed now, "I do really like her but it's not just her and she is perfect, she's smart and pretty and just plain perfect. If you didn't want to meet her that's fine but I'm staying in Sydney either way." he says bouncing his leg unable to stay still. And getting up so we can walk out.

I get up too, not sure what to say but smiled slightly when he said I was perfect.

"Fine, don't come, stay with your mother." Luke's dad says.

"Great." Luke says grabbing my hand and walking out.

I think he thought that we had gotten out of earshot but we hadn't, "if I knew how hard that little shit was going to make this I wouldn't have tried."

When we get outside Luke heads for the car and leans on the bonnet frustrated with how it went.

I go after him and hug him tightly, "he's a dick," I say quietly in his ear.

"mhmm," he mutters melting into my arms.

"he's worse than you," I chuckle, in his ear.

He holds me tightly leaning his head on my shoulder, "you're not helping... can we go get some proper food, in celebration?" he says after calming down a bit.

I chuckle lightly, "celebration?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah, he said I could stay in Sydney right?" he smiles slightly.

I chuckle, "ok where do you wanna go?"

"Somewhere with lots of food?" he chuckles holding me closer, "or we can go home and do something with my mum? She would like that."

"Call your mum and the boys, they'll want to know what's happening, we can just drive back and get something quick to eat on the way?" I smile, leaning up to kiss him.

He smiles into the kiss, "yes, I'll do it on the drive," he smiles, getting excited about being able to stay excitedly.

I smile and get in the car and grab the phone so we can call people on the way back.