Chapter 31: Poker Face

"(Y/n) are you still with us?" Ms. Parker asks.

I snap out of my daydream and look away from the window to look at her, my chin still in my hand.

"Hm?"

"I said are you still with us?" She repeats.

"Yeah. I'm here."

"Great! Then you wouldn't mind answering this question?"

I look at the board. Science. It's a science question.

'What is the order of the planets from the sun?'

I resist the urge to roll my eyes as I answer. "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune."

Ms. Parker smiles. "That's correct, but you still have to pay attention, okay?" I nod.

'Why am I even in this class?'

I sigh as I tune in to what she's saying even though it's very boring and I don't want to be here anyway.

Four explosions suddenly go off, shaking the building. Two upstairs and the other two down here.

"Was that an earthquake?" One of my classmates asks.

"No. Definitely wasn't an earthquake," I say as I hear distant screams from other classrooms.

'Aidan. That's the only explanation for this. I've heard from Dad that he started burning the humans he killed so apparently he's becoming more mentally unstable by the day. Wouldn't put it past him to blow up my school now.

The fire alarm goes off. Ms. Parker hurriedly lines us up and leads the way out. When we walk into the hallway there are flames trying to engulf the building and fast. I sniff the air.

'Gasoline! Really?!'

We walk through the hallways, avoiding the flames as my classmates whimper in fear. I'm in the back of the line, making sure everyone else is safe first before myself. Other students are coming from their classrooms too, trying to get out of the burning building. I feel someone grab the back of my shirt and the next thing I know I'm yanked in the air. I yelp and look back to see who grabbed me and surprise surprise, it's Aidan.

'Is it too late to take back what I said in the last chapter?'

My teacher hears me and turns around. My classmates do too.

"Let her go!" Ms. Parker yells and steps towards him.

Aidan pulls out a gun and aims it at her, stopping her in her tracks.

"Don't take another step." He growls.

I look at Ms. Parker. "Don't give your life up for me. I'll be fine." I reassure her.

"It is my duty as a teacher to protect my students."

"Well, it's also my duty to save others before myself."

'If she steps in, Aidan won't hesitate to shoot. He has targets but if anyone stands in his way he'll take them out too.'

Aidan starts backing away, the gun still aimed at Ms. Parker.

I smirk. "Don't look so glum. I've been in situations like this before. How do you think I got this?" I say, referring to my broken arm.

The sound of wood breaking catches our attention and we look up. The ceiling starts to fall and Aidan moves us out of the way. Now there's definitely no way to get back to my classmates. I look at them over the burning debris that separates us before Aidan turns around and walks away.