BOTW!Link X Reader | You Don't Love Me

Warnings:
None

Notes:
You're a reincarnation of Link's partner against Ganon. She died 100 years ago. You were sent to aid Link in his quest by Goddess Hylia.
(h/n) means horse name. If you don't know you can use... Oreo as a filler :)

I hummed, feeling Link sit down close to me, leaning his head onto my shoulder and I sighed. He had another memory. A memory as who I've come to refer to as 'past-(Y/N)' or... I think it was about her.

     I heard him sigh, all breathy like.

    He's only ever this open about physical contact after a memory.

    "Hey, (Y/N)... we should go catch Sanke Carp after all this is over. You like those, don't you?"

    No. I don't, Link. That's past (Y/N). Not me.

    "Never seen one."

    "What? But you..." I trailed off, smiling at me. "Right. You're more interested in Porgy." I spared him a small glance. It's not something I do often. It's too painful. I love him... but I'm not the one he loves, despite what he may say. "Right?" He furrowed his brow.

    "No. You keep talking about all these fish. Me?" I pointed to myself. "Link, I like birds. I'm not the same as the (Y/N) you knew."

    "Oh... right." He smiled, pointing with his hand towards the giant mechanical bird in the distance. "In that case let's go to that place next."

     I nodded slightly, waiting for him to lean off of me before standing, packing away my things into (h/n)'s saddle bags.

    "Do you need help mounting your steed?"

   "No, thank you though."

    "Okay." He skipped over happily, pecking me on the cheek once before running off to Epona.

    We aren't even dating... He's confusing the past with the present. Even if I enjoy his affection... I wiped my cheek where he had kissed me, looking down at my hands. I can't let this continue. As a child of Hylia I must do what's right. Even if it hurts.

*****

     "Link. We need to talk." We'd traveled for a few hours now, giving me plenty of time to go over what I was going to say. I was ready and it needed to be done. "Now."

    He looked up, surprised but nodded, halting his horse. "Of course. Anything you need."

    I sighed, dismounting and waving for him to follow me into the shade of a tree. It was nearly noon and I didn't want to stay in the sun when I didn't need to. He obliged and once we were under the canopy of leaves I turned on my heel, facing him.

    "This needs to stop."

    He blinked, talking a step forwards and placing a gentle hand on my arm. "What do you mean?"

    It took a lot of willpower but I brought my other hand, removing his grip. "This. You being all affectionate with me. It isn't right."

    "But... I love you."

    "Link..." I sighed. "You don't." He opened hid mouth to argue. "Fine. Do you want to test your theory?" He nodded, albeit hesitantly. "What's my favorite weapon?"

    "Spear."

    "Favorite food?"

    "Stew."

    "Favorite... place we've visited?"

    "Gerudo."

    I stared at him blankly. "All wrong. Spear? Link I've never touched a spear. Stew? I've made stew once. My favorite food is curry. And really? Gerudo? You do realize we haven't even been there yet, right?"

    He blinked slowly. "But... You like all those things."

    "No, Link," I let out a sad chuckle. "That's where you're wrong. (Y/N) liked those things. The one you used to know, from the past. I know you love her, but she's dead and I'm not her." I stepped back by the tiniest fraction of an inch. "You need to let go."

    "No... That's not true..." He seemed scared, more scared than ever before. Never had I seen this emotion in his eyes. Not when we fought Waterblight. Not when we were ambushed by 5 Yiga Soldiers.

    "I'm not at all angry and I'll still help you on this quest. I feel bad for you, Link. You've been through so much. And... I'm really sorry this happened but you can't continue to mix the past with what's happening now."

    He nodded slowly, taking a small step away from me. "I understand. You're right. I'm sorry."

    "It's alright." I sighed quietly, "I'm sure you need time to... mourn her death so I'll be by the horses. Don't get hurt."

    He nodded, dirty blonde locks blocking his eyes. I turned, heart hurting yet satisfied. This was the right thing to do.