Chapter one

You started your new job at the Shabandar Media Group three months ago to the day. By this point you had gotten past the awkward 'new person' stage and had settled in nicely with your colleagues. You originally applied to be a receptionist as you have experience in a fast paced work environment but you were unsuccessful and reapplied as soon as the email arrived in your inbox detailing an assistant role.

Lionel Shabandar, your new boss, was intrigued by your eager attitude and persistence after seeing your name pop up twice in the space of two weeks. He sent you an email inviting you to meet him in his office as it was important to him that you both got along if you were going to work so closely. You promptly accepted and spent the hour getting to know him, his likes, dislikes and preferences. You didn't feel the need to speak about yourself so kept quiet and focussed on listening, which he wholeheartedly appreciated. You left with a full page of notes on the man, detailing everything down to his lunch requests. He emailed you whilst you were in the taxi home to congratulate you on your new job.

Lionel presented himself as the typical british businessman, straight-laced and stern faced. However, after three months of being in your constant company, he caught himself softening up. He had a particular talent for putting on a strong front, rarely sparing time to deal with emotions and anything unrelated to work, but that was starting to change.

- Time skip (6 months into your new job) -

You arrived at work just before 8am, making sure to complete any prep work that had been overlooked the day before. Lionel was supposed to be hosting a meeting at 8:15am, but failed to show up on time. After a moment of panic and obsessing over whether you should attempt to contact him, you decided to keep calm and stall the group of men in suits that were now waiting at the door, crossing your fingers in the hope that Lionel would make an appearance.

"Gentlemen, please come in, coffee or tea?" You asked, flashing them an unreciprocated smile as they filed in and spat their orders at you. You jotted them down on a notepad, unphased by their callous demeanor and left them to chat amongst themselves whilst you wandered over to the table in the corner of the room and poured their drinks.

As you carried the tray over and served the men, the door swung open, revealing a slightly disheveled version of your boss as he let out a relieved sigh. He scanned the room and noticed your efforts to keep the group distracted as he arrived, fifteen minutes late. He offered the table a weak smile and made his way over to his desk, meeting you there as you placed a fresh coffee on the glass table.

"Morning, Sir, nice of you to finally join us." You whispered, smirking to mock his typical poor time keeping.
"You're a saint." He muttered, gripping your upper arm in genuine appreciation before turning to address the room.

"Apologies gentlemen, I won't bore you with excuses. I assume (Y/n) has taken good care of you in my absence?" He questioned, watching as they nodded, sipping on their drinks.
"Wonderful, shall we begin?" He asked rhetorically, pulling out a chair and gesturing for you to sit beside him at the head of the large table.

During the meeting, Lionel repeatedly checked in with you, making sure you were keeping up whilst you switched between writing notes, answering urgent emails and providing the table with refills.

"Do you need a quick break?" He whispered, softening his features and shooting you a concerned look as the men began reading over Lionel's handouts.
"No, Sir. I'm all caught up." You smiled, straightening up in your chair and presenting him with your tidy collection of notes. He scanned over them briefly, leaning into you and chuckling at your attentiveness.
"Well done, I shouldn't underestimate you." He reminded himself, watching your proud expression before promptly returning his attention back to the meeting.