Chapter two

As time crept by, you noticed a window for lunch and decided to take the opportunity, quickly realising as you wandered to the staffroom that you had forgotten to bring anything in for yourself. You reached for your phone and text Lionel, suddenly aware of the fact that he was nowhere to be seen and hadn't let you know what he wanted to eat.

Are you not hungry today? I'm on my way back up to your office, let me know what you'd like and I'll get it ordered. You messaged, hoping he would choose something that you could steal a bite of.

No need, I'm sorted today, see you up there. He responded promptly.

You furrowed your brows at his text, confused as to why he'd suddenly taken it upon himself to take care of his own lunch after six months of making it your job. You brushed it off and made your way up to his office, listening to your stomach rumble and accepting that you were going hungry today.

As you opened the door you were met with Lionel, sitting with his feet on his desk and messily eating a pasta dish.
"Sorry, I'm an animal when I eat, come sit." He urged, grabbing a napkin and wiping his mouth before moving his legs back under the table and sitting himself up in a more respectable position. You let out a weak chuckle, unable to muster up the energy for a reply as you slumped into the chair next to him.
"You're not eating?" He asked, concerned.
"I forgot my lunch..." You admitted, feeling even more ridiculous after saying it outloud.
"Silly girl, here." He reprimanded, reaching into his bag and pulling out a separate meal for you.

You froze, unsure what to make of his comment but quickly realising he had bought you lunch.
"Why did you-"
"I'm being nice, you said you liked pasta, yes?" He explained, halting your question and raising his brows, waiting for you to take the box from his hands.
"Yes, thank you, Sir." You smiled, genuinely, noticing he had stuck a post-it-note to the top that said '- Lionel x'.
"Call me Lionel, we're on lunch." He teased, making an excuse to hear you say his name as he watched you smiling at the note he'd left.
"You're right, thank you, Lionel." You mocked, reclining back into your chair and tucking into your food.
"That's better, enjoy." He hummed, finishing off his food and slyly watching as you ate your lunch, satisfied with his decision.

After you ate, you both made your way down to the staff room, throwing away the empty food containers and separating for a moment whilst you spoke to your colleagues. Lionel got talking to a tall man in a grey suit, who you believed to be someone of importance, visiting from another company abroad.

He called you over briefly and introduced you, explaining how the man was in fact a very important person, a higher up from a similar company that was hoping to merge with the Shabandar Media Group.

"Sorry for dragging you away, I just thought Mr.Sangetti would like to meet my right hand woman." He smirked, placing his hand on your lower back and urging you to shake hands with the man. You flinched at the contact but quickly masked your shock with a smile.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir." You cooed, doing your best to make a good first impression as the man looked you up and down and ran his tongue along his teeth.

"The pleasure's mine of course, Lionel speaks fondly of you... I look forward to meeting you again soon." He purred, kissing your hand and giving your boss a knowing look. Lionel ignored the man's advances and pressed his lips together, sliding his hand around and giving your waist a comforting squeeze before releasing you. You wandered back over to your colleague, slightly confused with the brief conversation between you and the men.

"Seems important." She scoffed, looking over your shoulder at the man standing across from Lionel as you returned to talk to her.
"He's a higher up, I assume he's in charge of the merge." You responded, distracted by your phone repeatedly buzzing in your pocket.