Chapter 43 : Too Easy

Hey everyone. Sorry it has been so long since I've uploaded. It's been crazy...Works been nuts, life has been chaotic and writers block hit hard. This is more of a filler chapter that will lead into the next chapter which will explain a lot more about the group and how everything comes together. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Hexal's POV

I shot upwards on the old cot mattress, covered in sweat. The metal frame of the bed creaked as I threw my legs over the side of the bed, rubbing my hands over my face, feeling exhausted and restless, similar to all other previous nights.

I had no clue why every night for the past few months, I've been having these nightmares. Nightmares that make no sense to me at all. I try to remember them but by the time I wake up, they are nothing but a fuzzy blur.

I stood up off the creaky mattress as I left the room, my warm feet contrasting against the cold wood flooring. I walked out of the old cottage and into the woods, bare feet crunching against falling leaves and being pricked by broken sticks. We were high enough in the mountains to where the wind easily cooled off my sweaty skin as I stared up at the star lit sky.

"Still can't sleep?"

A voice sounded from behind me as I looked over to see Evelyn leaning against a tree. I shook my head as I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my pajama pants.

"Same dreams again. I have no idea why they keep happening."

She shrugged. "Isobel told me you keep waking up in the middle of the night. Her and Damon see you on their nightly walks. You want to talk about it?"

I shrugged my shoulders as my jaw clenched. "There's nothing to talk about. By the time I wake up, the memory of the dream is fuzzy and faded. I remember how I felt during the dream when I wake up though."

Evelyn walked over to me as her arms crossed, trying to brace herself from the cold wind. "What do you feel?"

I stared off into the darkness of the woods, trying to pick the right words. "Scared...alone...lost." I shook my head as I looked down to my feet. "I don't know why."

"What if they aren't dreams?"

My head lifted as my eyes dilated. "What does that mean?"

She shrugged. "What if they're forgotten memories? It happens."

I could tell she was trying to play off the meaning behind her words but the way she phrased it reminded me of Luna's friend. How she said we knew each other and I didn't remember because I was Obliviated. I thought she was just crazy or insane, but some of the things she said about me were spot on. However, Luna could have easily told her these things.

"What makes you say they are memories?"

She shrugged. "Just a thought. Are you ready for tomorrow?"

I had completely forgotten all about tomorrow. Tomorrow was the day I was able to break my blood oath to Connor. Did I even want to though? When I felt lost and confused, this group was here for me. When I had realized Luna had been lying to me this whole time about my life, this group had told me the truth.

The truth had seemed so odd. I had my wand snapped after being expelled from Ilvermorny and I got into an argument with my family. I ran away, driving as far as I could to get away from everything when Connor had found me. He took me under his wing, told me I would be cared for and looked after so long as I did what he asked and what was required of me.

Luna had told me that she was with me the whole time but when we showed up to meet with the group in Pennsylvania, they were shocked that she was there with me.