Chapter 48 : Race Against The Mind

Hey everyone. So, I'm sure you all know I work Security for my local Hospital by now so I'm surprised it took this long in the Pandemic to say that I'm out of work because unfortunately I have become Positive. I knew it was a matter of time because our hospital is overwhelmed with Covid Patients. I am fine however. Headaches, Fatigue, I bit into an onion and a lemon and nothing happened. I did surprisingly start getting some of my taste back but no smell yet. I'm assuming I got Covid from either walking through the ER, going hands on with numerous patients we get that are drunk or on drugs, or MORE than likely being bitten and spit at by patients...probably that 🤔 😂 It's a wonderful life...but this gives me time to write at least 🤷‍♀️ I hope everyone is staying safe! Love you all ❤️

Hexal's POV

I awoke in a sweat as my body wrenched upwards, lungs tight and airways restricted as I gasped for breath. It felt like I was submerged in water, face breaking the waters edge in a desperate attempt for air. My throat felt hot and as if I had small pebbles of serrated concrete bouncing around, scratching away at the inside of my throat every single time I breathed. My vision was blurred as I rolled over, falling out of my bed and onto the hard flooring. My head was throbbing as I felt light headed and almost as if I was floating. Crawling my way towards the bathroom door, I shoved it open with my hand and continued my crawl towards the toilet, which thankfully had an open lid.

Throwing up wasn't a favorite hobby of mine, but it was continuous as of late. I cradled the toilet as my body heaved it's contents outward. Over the past few weeks, I've been feeling weaker and weaker. It felt like I had no energy to carry on. I placed my hands against the toilet seat, pushing myself upwards towards the sink. My body shook as I struggled to lift myself onto my feet. Grabbing onto the sink for balance, I stared into my own reflection.

My eyes were dark and sunken as the whites in my eyes had a tint of yellow to them. My skin was broken and pale. Hair felt dry and dead, as I ran my hand through it, only to pull away with dead strands wrapped around my fingers. My fingers were skinny, dry, calloused and had tinted color as well. It was clear I had lost a significant amount of weight. My body was no longer toned and defined, but flat and receding.

I turned on the faucet to the sink, running the water on ice cold as I cupped my hands together, letting the water fill my palms. Splashing the water in my face and running another cup of water through my hair, I looked back up to my reflected face in the mirror. I splashed another round of water in my face, turning off the water before shutting my eyes tight. My head pounded as speckled spots clouded my vision. I heard voices outside the bathroom door as I turned my head, staring clueless at the wooden door that separated the voices from my eyesight. I didn't even remember shutting the door when I came in.

Who was in my room right now?

Reaching for the door handle, a clicking sound resonated as I opened the door, peeking into my room. Although the door didn't lead to my room. I found myself in an open room that I've seen before in my dreams and those memories I saw when I was in Hermione's head. Well, Connors head that led to Hermiones.

The voices belonged to figures I couldn't quite make out physically. They were shrouded and blurry, but I could tell their genders based on the shadows' physique. I couldn't make out what the figures were saying, it sounded like harsh mumbo jumbo. In the center of the room was another blurry figure that was laying down on the floor, staring up towards a chandelier. I was drawn towards the cloudy figure as I approached, falling to my knees, hands pressing against my face.

"No, no, no...stop, stop, please stop...I can't do this anymore...I can't..."

I felt like I was going crazy. I've been having frequent hallucinations for weeks now and steadily they were growing more realistic. I couldn't tell if my mind was playing tricks on me or quite possibly, those memories I had lost according to everyone were slowly returning. Either way, I just wanted it to stop. The vomiting, the dizziness, the exhaustion, the headaches, the emotional pain that followed...