Chapter 3 : Great Hall Embarrassment

I sat at the Slytherin table, once again playing with my food. Looking up and over to the Gryffindor table, I saw Hermione reading a book again. She's been here ever since the end of Charms class earlier today. I wanted to talk to her but I doubt I would be allowed. By anyone. My eyes continued to linger as I thought back to our interactions during Charms class. She was not what I was expecting. When we first met she didn't seem all that social. Then when I found out she was the top student of our year and a know it all, I figured she would be cold, preppy and just arrogant. That's not the vibe I got from Charms at all. She was instead warm, kind and gentle. I couldn't deny the fact that she was attractive too. Not that it mattered, but she had a softness to her.

I watched as she read her book, attempting to tune out her friends. She was concentrated and zoned into whatever it was that she was reading.

Pansy nudged me, snapping me out of my staring and nodded towards the brunette. "I dare you." She joked.

I scoffed. "Dare me to what?"

"I dare you to walk over to the Gryffindor table and sit next to Granger."

I rolled my eyes as a small scoff escaped my lips. "And why would I do that?"

Pansy shrugged, a sly smirk resting on her lips. "Because you've been looking at her for about 10 minutes now." I rolled my eyes, looking back at Hermione as Pansy sighed. "11." She rolled her eyes herself. "I don't know what's going through your head, but try to not make a scene about it. Don't want a target on your back from associating with the Mudblood."

My blood quickly boiled at her comment. "Shut it." I snapped as I got up from the table and walked over to the Gryffindor table. I could hear Pansy say something under her breath but I didn't care to turn back to ask what she had said. I only wanted to thank her for saying what she did to Weasley but how do I without letting her know I eavesdropped? There was also something about her that made me want to learn more about her. Call it an urge I guess. Before I knew it, I was standing next to where she was sitting and quickly plopped myself down beside her.

Hermione's head whipped up to look at me in a shocked expression as chatter among the table of lions silenced. Potter and Weasley who were sitting across the table from Hermione stopped their conversation and stared at me. Potter with confusion and Weasley with rage. Other Gryffindors were staring at me with the same mixed expressions as the two boys across from me. I ignored them all and stared back at Hermione who never took her eyes off of me.

"Hey there Granger." I smirked at her, my nervousness etching it's way on my face. I started fidgeting like I was in class again. I looked up at her friends down the table to see each one glaring daggers at me as I cleared my throat.

"Do...you need something, Hexal?" Hermione inquired as she looked out of the corner of her eye at her friends and back to me, concerned and on guard at the same time.

"I uh..." I scratched my head and shrugged. "I wanted to talk to you."

Hermione raised her eyebrow. "About?"

It was then that I noticed that the whole Great Hall was quiet and looked to see all houses staring at us, whispering about the Slytherin at the Gryffindor table. I began to feel anxious and uncomfortable.

"Oi. She's talking to you Snake."

I looked over to see Weasley glaring at me angrily. I bit the inside of my cheek, now becoming agitated. 'I need to calm down.'

I shook my head as I stared at Hermione. "You know what? Nevermind. It's nothing. Forget it. I'll just uh...catch up with you later about it or whatever."

I got up hastily, embarrassed and exited the Great Hall, suddenly not hungry anymore. I was halfway down the hall with my head down, mentally scolding myself before I heard my name being called. I turned around and was shocked to see Hermione jogging towards me, her books in hand. She caught up to me, trying to control her breathing as she smiled slightly.

"Hey."

I narrowed my eyes at her, suspicious. "Hi."

She tucked her hair behind her ears and hugged her books to her chest. "Sorry about back there. What was it you wanted to talk about?"

I shook my head again, feeling idiotic. "Like I said, forget about it. It was stupid."

She ground her teeth. "Actually, I think it was quite brave."

I looked at her as a slight smirk made my way on my lips. "Really?" I straightened my tie, the smirk growing. She smiled a tight lipped smile, as if trying to hide it, caused by my childish action. I quickly remembered why she ran off after me and frowned. "I just wanted to talk to you."

"Yeah, I get that. But about what?"

I sighed. "Look, I-" I looked down to my feet. "I overheard you and your friends talking after class ended...about me."

Hermione's face changed to a sympathetic look as she understood what I was referring too. "Hexal..."

I rose my hand, cutting her off. "I just wanted to thank you. For shutting Weasley up."

She nodded before shifting her feet. "He's not usually like that. He's just concerned. Not all Slytherins are kind. Especially to people like me."

I nodded as I fidgeted again. "Hermione?"

"Yeah?"

"Sorry if I embarrassed you."

She shook her head. "You didn't."

I bit my lip. "Well, anyways. I'll let you go back to your friends."

I started to walk away before she grabbed my arm. "Can I be your friend?"

A shocked expression spread on my face. "What?"

"Your friend. I was wondering...I've never had a Slytherin friend before. Quite frankly I never thought I would. But you're different. If any Slytherin would be my friend, I would like it to be you." She smiled softly at me as I shifted my feet.

We heard whispering as we looked over to see two animated statues of knights speaking lowly to each-other. They were whispering about our awkward conversation but when noticed they were caught, they instantly went stiff and acted like they were never animated in the first place.

God, can't I get any peace in this place?

I turned back to Hermione as I bounced slightly on my feet, thinking before speaking. "Favorite color?" I asked.

She tilted her head confused. "What?"

"What's your favorite color?" I asked tucking my hands in my pocket.

"Green." She answered.

My eyes lit up at her answer. "Red." I said. "There. Off to a good start so far, friend."

Hermione smiled before looking back to the Great Hall and then back to me. "Would you want to accompany me to the Library Hexal? There's a few books I've been wanting to check out for awhile. I don't really want to walk back into the Great Hall with everyone staring honestly."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Yeah...sorry about that."

She waved her hand at me. "It's okay. So, coming?"

I shrugged. "That depends. Will there be any eavesdropping statutes nearby?"

One of the knight statues huffed and pulled his sword, swinging it at the nearby knight who started the whispering in the first place.

Hermione smiled at the statues antics before sighing. "Unfortunately you'll come to learn that you never truly have any privacy here at Hogwarts."

I shook my head. "Yeah, I started to pick up on that after the first few weeks being here." I stepped to the side and waved my arm. "After you?"

Hermione thanked me for my silly manner as I followed her to the Library, happy I stood up in the Great Hall in the first place.