Chapter 20 : No More Hiding

14 pages just for you guys! Hope you enjoy!

It's. Been. Fucking. Weeks.

Snow was on the ground for Hell's sake. Last time Hermione and I had spoken was that night in the alcove when Hermione had asked me to attend Christmas with her family. I stared at her from across the Great Hall as she sat at the Gryffindor table, head buried in a book like usual. She sipped her drink, never taking her eyes off the page. She flashed her eyes devilishly at Weasley as I smirked knowing he had probably said something stupid towards her, as she rolled her eyes and returned them to her book. I could see her turn slightly away from Weasley as if to ignore him. I took a bite out of my bread and sipped my drink, continuing staring. She looked up at me and sighed, giving a soft smile before turning back to her book.

I swallowed my dinner as I stood up from my seat. Draco didn't budge from next to me, as he eyed my walk over to Hermione. I walked around the Great Hall and down the aisle to Hermione. Whispers were thrown my way and some slurs as usual and I met eyes with Weasley. He squinted his face at me and muttered something under his breath, causing Potter and Hermione to look up at me. Hermione gave me a surprised look, seeing how the last time I ventured over to the Gryffindor table was a year or so ago.

I sat down next to her as she graciously scooted over for me. Smiling at her, I inched closer to her and stared at the book in her hands. "What are you reading?" 

She smiled at me as she went to open her mouth but was rudely cut off by Weasley. "Who asked you Snake?"

I gritted my teeth and hissed air through my nose as I turned to look at him. "Clearly not you." A hand was placed underneath the table and rested on my leg, turning my attention immediately to Hermione.

"I'm studying for potions, which I've noticed you've been struggling with lately. Would you like some private teaching lessons?" She looked from me to Weasley as I picked up on her message. I nodded as she folded up her book and stood up from the table and walked by my side out the doors of the Great Hall. I followed her up the staircase and down several hallways until I groaned.

"Hermione, where are we going?"

She stopped walking and turned to face me, holding her book tightly to her. "I wanted to ask you something in private."

I shrugged. "Go on."

She shifted her feet before clearing her throat. "Slughorn is holding this Christmas party and I wanted to ask if you would attend the party with me." She saw my face drop as I fidget my feet. "I know you're not a fan of parties or social gatherings for that matter, but it would really mean a lot to me if you came."

I rubbed my neck self-consciously. "I don't know Hermione...I'm not one for dressing fancy."

"You don't have to." She stepped closer to me, inches away. "Just wear what's comfortable for you. Don't step out of your comfort zone."

I nodded but then another question came to mind. "You sure you want to ask me and not someone else? I mean, if we show up together, won't that make people pay more attention to us?"

She sighed heavenly as she placed her hand on my arm. "Are you nervous about what people will think when they see us together?"

I scoffed. "You saying you aren't?"

"Of course I am." She took her hand away from my arm as I stepped forward, sad her touch left mine. "But someone once told me that I should only care about the thoughts of people who care for me then people who don't." She sent me a sly smile as I huffed and rolled my eyes.

"Alright, I'll go. On one condition!"

She gave me a confused look. "And what condition would that be?"