Chapter 9 : A Final Decision

I arrived back in London a week earlier than needed to make sure I had everything I needed before I went back to school. I went sightseeing in the city, taking your typical tourist pictures for my family. I walked towards the location of the Leaky Cauldron on Charing Crossing Road, backpack stung over my one shoulder. My mother taught me the spell to create an infinite amount of space in my backpack so I didn't have to carry around my old duffel bag anymore. I entered the Leaky Cauldron and waved to the bartender as he shouted 'Welcome Back American!'.

Charming.

I exited through the back of the pub and into the chilly courtyard and noticed Draco Malfoy with his father chatting secretly near the entrance to Knockturn Alley. He saw me and motioned me over as his father's stern stare turned into a calm and natured one. What a fake, I thought.

"Hex! How was your summer?" Draco asked me.

I shrugged. "It was alright. How's everything been over here?"

Before he could answer, his father cleared his throat making me look up at him. "So you're the American that's been transferred to Hogwarts from Ilvermorny? Sorted into Slytherin, correct?" I nodded my head. "Pity, you had to start at that scum of a school. Wasted talent. Pure-blood?"

"Half-Blood."

"Father?"

"No, my mother."

"Maiden name?"

"Reeket."

A smile formed on his face. "Reeket? A prominent name in the states? Related to the famous wizards of the Boone family correct?"

"That's right."

"A pleasure." Finally he reached out his hand to shake mine. I accepted, only to not be rude. He turned back to his son and the cold stare returned. "I hope you think hard on what we discussed Draco." Draco nodded, an anxious look spread across his face.

Once his dad had left, I looked toward Draco "Everything good dude?"

He mumbled that it was nothing and asked if I would accompany him to Knockturn Alley. I agreed as he caught me up on everything that had happened over the summer. Potter ranting that Voldemort had returned, the Ministry caught in an uproar of fear over the accusation, how Potter was on trial to get his wand snapped from performing a spell in front of his muggle cousin.

"Do you think he's returned? The Dark Lord?" I asked Draco. He paled once more and shook his head.

"Potter just wants to be in the limelight again, that's all."

I shook my head. "Dude, what's up with you? I can tell you're hiding something. What is it? You can tell me."

"It's none of your business Toor!" He snapped at me, which he instantly regretted as I shot him a death glare. "Sorry...just not feeling myself."

"I will hex you. Don't snap at me." He looked at me with a slight hint of fear before nodding as we continued our shopping. We continued our walk to Diagon Alley after Draco retrieved what he needed from Knockturn but before we could continue, I heard a sniff as he quickly wiped his face.

"Are you crying?" I asked him

"Shut up!" He snapped in my face as my agitation rose.

I grabbed him by his collared shirt, slamming him into the nearest brick wall. "What did I just say? Now you tell me what the hell is going on with you. This is the last time I'll ask."

He sniffed once more and looked around him before his eyes swelled red. He locked eyes with me and whispered. "Potters right. He's back. You-Know-Who."

I stared at him shocked and let him go. "How do you know?"

"My father and his colleagues are old followers of his. Hex, my father was there when Cedric died. The whole summer was learning how to be a follower to the Dark Lord. My father wants me to take the mark. I don't want to."

I eyed him suspiciously. "Then say no."

Draco shook his head, afraid. "I can't! If I say no, the Dark Lord will kill me. If I say yes I'm just on the edge of impressing him and living or screwing up and dying."

I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck harshly. "How long do you have to make a decision?"

"Until the end of the school year."

I nodded as I put a hand on his shoulder. "Alright. You won't go through this alone. I won't tell anyone about this. You come to me when you need to, got it? Don't try to carry this alone, or I will hex you for being stupid."

He laughed and shook his head. "What is it with you and Hexes?"

I smacked him on the back. "It's in the name."

I gathered all my school supplies for the year as Draco bought new Quidditch gear for the new season, including a new broom. He offered me his old one saying I may need it soon, which I found odd but accepted it anyways. He continued talking to me about what his father wanted of him this school year. How he would have to prove himself before taking the mark and his father isn't taking excuses for not carrying out the tasks he was given. I felt kind of bad for him going through all of this, but I had to admit, there was something inside of me that felt a rush from what he was telling me. I was intrigued.

We headed back to the Leaky Cauldron and sat down at the bar before heading our separate ways. Draco said we could order any drink including alcoholic. I questioned him with a stare before I noticed the fear across the bartenders face when he noticed Malfoy sit down with me. I asked the bartender for a PBR to which Draco leaned towards me, telling me that they didn't serve muggle drinks here. I cursed under my breath as Draco ordered two Dragon Scales, insisting that it tasted similar to PBR. I took his word for at as the bartender turned to fetch our drinks.

"He knows, doesn't he? About your ties with, you know who?"

Draco nodded as we were served our drinks. He took a gulp of his as my finger tapped against the glass. "Okay." Draco looked at me confused. I met eyes with him as I nodded. "Okay."

He squinted his eyes confused. "Okay with what?"

"I'm in."

He gave me a confused look before paling. "Hex, no! You can't. Once you're in, you're stuck. You lose all your freedom and the things he'll make you do..."

"Like I said Draco. You're not going to do this alone. Whether it was your intention or not, you peaked my interest. Let me test the waters. I've got secrets too."

Draco licked his lips, thinking. He quickly turned to me. "What about the mud-blood, Granger? You can't be friends with her while you serve him. He's going to expect you to follow his morals and his alone."

I shook my head. "I can take care of myself. Believe me. As for Granger..." I held my breath. "I can handle that as well. Don't you worry about me Draco. I know what I'm doing. Believe it or not, I've been in a similar situation before." I hesitated before continuing. "I won't make the same mistake twice." Draco gave me a look before I shook my head at him. "I don't want to discuss it right now. Maybe later. But just know that if we do this, we do it together. Alright?"

Draco nodded as I held up my glass to join with his. "Together." He tapped his glass against mine, still shocked from my statements as he nodded.

"Together."

As I took a sip from my drink, I shut my eyes tight and drank until the glass was empty. I'm sorry Hermione. But you've got Potter. Draco has no one. I just hoped if she found out what I was planning, she would see it the same way.