Chapter 2 : Charms and Stigmas

Edit : Yes yes yes. I know that classes typically only have two houses in them. But I read somewhere that some have multiple depending on the circumstances so just pretend when this stuff happens for story purposes, it's one of those classes.

Hermione POV -

I sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, reading my Charms book as I tried to get ahead of the next lesson we would be learning. Harry and Ron sat across from me as Harry talked about Quidditch and Ron was shoving his breakfast down his throat. A shudder ran through me as I took in his disgusting actions.

'Will he ever have manners?'

As I rolled my eyes and went to look down at my textbook again, my eyes caught something across the way. The new exchange student from America who was sitting casually at the Slytherin table. It's been a month since she first arrived and she was still an enigma to me.

'What was her name again? Oh right...Hexal. Unique.'

I watched her a bit longer as if intrigued. She's got an interesting way about her that doesn't suite the stereotypical Slytherin. She didn't seem hateful or evil but more...out of place. I watched as her chocolate eyes looked up from her plate, occasionally to glance around her table to look at her housemates talking to each other before averting back to her food. She had short brown hair that was occasionally messy and ruffled; similar to Harry's but not quite as long currently. Harry's hair was more messy and unkempt from lack of attention whereas Hexal's hair was more spiky and frazzled as if it was caused from lack of sleep or running her hands frantically through it agitated. 

She was slim but built. Not too much to where it was weird looking, but enough to where you can tell she had some muscle. Her one arm was laid on the table as her fingers were twitching slightly, fingernails occasionally scratching the skin of her other fingers.

I've only spoken to her that one time a month ago when she first arrived but it was as if something was compelling me to speak to her again. Perhaps the urge to figure her out.

Before I could register, her eyes glanced up, roaming the other house tables until her eyes landed on mine. A shiver ran down my spine as our eyes locked. Not just from being caught staring but also the way her eyes looked. Her eyes were darkened but lit up slightly when we saw each other. So many emotions seemed to be swirling through her eyes that it took my breath away.

'An Enigma indeed...'

She looked back down to her plate of food, as if embarrassed at being looked at, and hid her face under her fist that rested against her cheek. I'm not sure why but a part of me felt worried for the female. I wondered if everything was going okay. Perhaps she was still having trouble adjusting to the transfer? I shrugged it off for now and continued my reading.

------------------------------------------------

I sat in my usual seat for Charms class with my books scattered across the upfront desk in an organized fashion. Feather pen in hand and ink vile nearby, I was ready for extreme note taking. My eyes wandered the classroom as I awaited the teacher to announce the start of class when they once again fell on the Slytherin girl.

She was sitting like she was in breakfast except she was slouching back in her chair as if bored. She fiddled with her feather pen, fingers stroking the feathers in a mesmerizing way. My gazing was cut off by Professor Flitwick coming out of his office and in between the long tables so every student can see him as he stood on piles of books. He discussed the new Charms we would be learning in class today along with the specific wand movements each one had.

Clearing his throat, he instructed he would be partnering us together and the partners would be from different houses to add more diversity to the class. Harry was paired with Cedric Diggory from Hufflepuff, Ron was paired with Pansy Parkinson from Slytherin and I was paired with Hexal.