Chapter 5 : Its A Start

I opened my eyes to notice I was laying down on one of the white sick beds in the infirmary. By my side were Pansy and Draco, who noticed my awakening. They each went into their own babbling fits over what happened. Each cussing out Potter and his friends. How they mocked Weasley for his smack talking but he couldn't land a proper spell. They then moved on to talk about Hermione, how she 'hexed' me and caused my injuries...even though those injuries were non-existent.

They gave their goodbyes and left as I once again was left in the silence. A figure appeared in the doorway of the infirmary, biting their lip and playing with their fingers anxiously as they gazed around the room. Footsteps echoed quickly and harshly against the tile flooring as they came closer to my sick bed. Metallic scraping of a chair sliding against the floor, coming closer to the bed piercing my ears, as I looked over quickly to see a frazzled Hermione.

"H-Hermione?" I shot upwards in the bed quickly looking over towards the entrance as if waiting for Draco and Pansy to walk in. "Wha...what are you doing here?"

Her face scrunched up. "I-I came to see you." Before I could ask another question she held up her hand. "The Gryffindor Common Room is only the next floor up so I figured I would stop by on my way to the common room." She looked down to her lap fidgeting once more. "I was the one to hex you to sleep."

Shrugging, I laid back down. "I wouldn't call it a hex since it didn't hurt me...which thank you for. I actually thought who were really going to hex me there. Especially after ginger-boy opened his mouth."

She smacked me on the arm as she rolled her eyes at me. "His name is Ron."

"Yeah and he started it." I groaned and grounded my teeth together. "I'm not a coward." I whispered under my breath as Hermione looked at me curiously.

"I never said you were?" I made quick eye contact with her and looked back down. She nodded slightly as if understanding. "Why does it matter what Ron thinks of you? You know how he feels about Slytherins. You shouldn't take it personally."

"Yeah, well...too late for that."

Hermione sighed as she leaned her crossed arms on the side of the bed. "Hexal? Why do my friends opinions matter so much to you?"

I scoffed, laughing as I shook my head. "Please. I could give a rats ass about what Potter and Weasley think about me." Bitterly speaking about her friends, she sent a glare my way until it softened as I whispered under my breath again. "Why would I care what your friends think of me, especially hanging with their smart, best friend in secret and knowing they secretly hate me."

Hermione grabbed my arm softly. "Do you want my friends to like you?"

I shrugged solemnly. "I don't know. It's just...do we really have to hide our friendship?"

She looked at me, frazzled again as her grip tightened on my arm. "You're not afraid of what people would say? You know the reputation I have, especially with Slytherins."

"Hermione." I slammed my head against the fluffy pillow. "I could give a shit what anyone thinks about me. I never did at Ilvermorny and I'm not going to start here. Pansy and Draco can shoot as many curses, hexes and even slurs my way but..." I returned my stare to Hermione's to see her widened eyes. "It's my life. I can be friends with whoever I choose. I can still be friends with Pansy and be friends with you. You don't have to like each other but just respect my choices. Hermione, I would be honoured to be your friend..." I tilted my head slightly. "...in public though."

Hermione smiled softly. "Hexal..."

"I mean, your friends can belittle me all they want and I will try my hardest not to snap back."